Is a VW roof rack system compatible with Yakima/Thule bike/luggage carriers?

Hi,

Does anyone know if a VW base roof rack system would work with Yakima/ Thule bike and luggage carriers? I can get a used VW rack fairly cheap but don't want to buy it if I'm going to have to buy any attachments from VW only.

Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
kebuchan

Depends on which VW it came from.

VW uses a specific type of setup to hook to the car. VW was smart enough to actually build in a place to hook to.

You have to cross reference the model VW it came from to your car.

Reply to
Dave

I have Thule bars attached to the factory rails on my 2003 Jetta Wagon. I generally haul the bikes on the trailer hitch rack though. Yakima luggage box on top or lumber. Lots of lumer and I use the truck. Lots of bikes meaning more than 3 on the back and I use the bike carrier on top.

Reply to
Jim Behning