passat vibration - I know where it's coming from...

this is a LH drive 2003 (i think) diesel estate. A deep penetrating sound but no shaking or other physical manifestation. I've checked google and although 'vibration' gets plenty of attention I haven't been able to match up with my particular problem.

On opening the hood and to the left there is a large black plastic duct followed by a covering cowl and one vibrates against the other at between 1550 to 1650 revs only - otherwise nice and quiet. A light finger pressure on either one will silence the noise instantly. From my handbook, I don't see any identification so here is a pic of the trouble spot under the black arrow :-

Does anyone have any home-spun remedies - a small wedge between the two, silicone sealant? - or should this be booked in for professional attention.

Help appreciated.

Reply to
hopeless

none2u

thanks for the reply none2u - I happened to be passing a vw agent yesterday and one of their guys had a quick peep. There are no screws here in fact, but he's advocated a smear of silicon to provide a join between the two which could be easily cut apart with a craft knife if needed....

Reply to
hopeless

I thought the smell of silicone will destroy the 02 sensor, but since you have a diesel........that shouldn't affect you! Could you use a V-shaped piece of rubber around the outer hose to make a tighter fit and also eliminate/reduce the vibration. Just my $0.02

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Reply to
none2u

The duct is the air intake. It should be firmly snapped-in to the air cleaner box. The flat cover fits on a rubber washer at the left and with two screws uner the round covers, at the right. If every thng is fastened as it should be there should be no movement between the two ??

Reply to
Alec