Strange Clarion radio behavior '98 Jetta

I just looked at a radio all already to re-enter code. The vehicle was lent out and when returned the radio came back with 1000 on the display. If you power it off and back on, it displays SAFE for a moment and then goes right to 1000 without user intervention.

Could someone have pressed those two buttons and held them until the working radio went to SAFE mode and then to enter code mode? Any other reasons this could have happened?

This is a first for me. I have the owner trying to contact the dealer, or previous owner, for the code since she recently purchased this car earlier this year and I could not find the code in usual places like on the radio. No she does not have the original owner's manual.

TIA

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Give her the serial number on the radio plus the vin and have her contact the dealer. They should be able to handle this over the phone.

Reply to
Madesio

causes, dead battery, radio power removed, or faulty radio-but unlikely. Need the code... e-mail me, but it's not free.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks, Owner called up the dealer and was given her code over the phone. She must have used her very pleasant voice! lol I reentered it, pressed the > button for 2-3 seconds and all is well.

What is strange is that the Clarion radio would power on flash SAFE and then go to 1000 without user intervention. I am used to the radios that just display SAFE until you hit 2 buttons to be able to enter the code. Maybe it is a Clarion feature.

thanks Woodchuck, I will keep your offer in my files. ;-) later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1