Winter tire suggestions for '01 Golf?

My buddy has a 2001 Golf 1.8T and wants winter rims/tires. Any issues with dropping to 14s other than the speedometer?

TIA!

Reply to
Darryl

If 14's would clear the brake calipers, which steel wheels might,

195-70x14 tires would give fairly close to the same rolling radius as the stock tires.
Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

I wouldn't have thought that 14" rims would clear the front brakes.

Reply to
Andre Levac

I have 15" steelies on my '01 1.8t GTI for winter, and they clear the brakes with less than 1/4" to spare. My 15" AutoX wheels (alloys) clear the brakes by about 1/16". If you can get 14" wheels on that sucker I want to see pictures!

Reply to
TBG

Exactly why I asked. Thanks for everyone's input.

Reply to
Darryl

GTIs come with larger rotors (at least at the front) stock. So I'm confident that 14" rims wouldn't work on your GTI, or mine for that matter.

I don't know how much smaller the stock golf brakes are - I'd be willing to bet not small enough, but if I'm wrong this wouldn't be the first time.

- AL

Reply to
Andre Levac

I would look at the spare tire and see what size that is. We know that will fit.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Spare is probably a 16. 14s may have a problem clearing the brakes. 15s or

16s should be alright with no speedo problems is the right amount of meat is on the tire.

Michael

-- When I was fourteen, my father was so ignortant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years. - MT

Reply to
Michael A. Vickers

My GTI has a 16" spare. If he's in north America and has a 2001 1.8t hatch, it is a GTI (1999.5 golf 4 door is only non GTI 1.8t hatch in NA)

Reply to
TBG

It is a Golf 1.8T, as per the subject line. I'm pretty sure that Golf 1.8T's were made right up until 2001, not just 1999.5.

Reply to
Andre Levac