key stuck in ignition and gear selector wont move. 92 s-10

1992 s-10 4.3 auto air tilt wheel
Hey all heres a wierd one. The gear selector is stuck in park and the ign key wont come out of the lock. At first I thought it may be something in the
linkage because we rocked the truck back and forth and then it shifted out of park ( of course it did this in the grocers parking lot). Once we got it home and backed in the drive, put it park and now it would not turn off. Took off the coil wire to turn it off and disconnected the ground wire at the battery to prevent it from dying. It wont let me change gears or let me turn off the engine. Im thinking ignition switch because when I tilted the wheel up and down, the radio would turn off and on, but I dont see how the ignition switch would have anything to do with the gear selector. any ideas? Thanks Steve
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:34:55 -0500, "seeray28\(steve\)"

Just a guess but is your steering wheel loose? -- Gordie
John 5 1:18 NWT On this account, indeed, the Jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he was also calling God his own Father, <<making himself equal to God>>. <<making himself equal to God>> <<equal to God>> <<EQUAL TO GOD>> <<GOD>> <<making himself God>>
seeray28(steve) wrote:

==================Unhook the shifter linkage at the transmission and see if the ignition key will turn properly, after moving the selector to P.
You likely have a linkage problem that's easily solved.
Hints..... Once the linkage is off the lever at the tranny, the lever on the tranny should have NO play in it without clicking to the next gear. If it does, then the linkage inside the tranny has probl'y come loose. (minor deal)
If the ignition still will not turn enough to remove the key once you have the linkage unhooked.....then chase the slop in the linkage. From where it hooks in under the dash to where it hooks on to the tranny.
do a repost...... let us know.
~:~ MarshMonster ~trans tech~

If it was a Ferd, I'd suspect brake light switch tied into "safety" system.. had a 91 cougar that happened to... if the switch isn't working, the system doesn't know that your foot is on the brake, so it stays locked in park..
Also sounds like a possible short in the steering post of the switch itself... that's bad mews, so I hope it's linkage!
Mac
mac davis wrote:

======================Mac, that scenario is highly doubtfull. I know........you said "if" it was a Ford.
any whooo........ it still would not rock out of park under that situation. As you said...it would be "locked" in park.
And....it does NOT even remotely sound like a "short" in the ignition switch. Again..that would not cause the "rocking" out park symptom.
respectfully submitted to correct inapropriate diagnostic steps
~:~ Marsh ~:~

Marsh.. on the damn cougar, it would rock out of park, if it was in the mood.. would also shift out once in a while... *g*
It was a bitch.. new brake switch didn't help.. turned out to be broken wire inside solderless terminal on the switch that connected when the stars were aligned right.. Mac

~:~ marshmonster ~:~ ==================mac davis wrote:

================== yeah..yeah..yeah...it's your story, you stick to it. lol
Mac, here's my point. The way your transmission is designe, and the way the OPs tranny is designed, IT WILL NOT ROCK OUT OF PARK if the linkage and everything it connects to is good from where it hooks up to the tranny to where your frick'n fanger touches the shifter. "Good" encompass's adjustment and all parts.
Now, if the linkage inside the pan is out of whack, then you have an internal problem.
But.... the automatic in your Cougar, nor the one in the OPs vehical will rock out of park unless something is amiss with linkage adjustment or bad parts inside the tranny or outside the tranny. fact...not fiction.
So...with that in mind....let's walk out to the OPs vehical and check it out.
OPs symptoms: key don't work tranny "rocks" out of park
Initial Diagnosis: ignitial diagnosis indicates further diagnosis is needed.
Conclusion:
CHECK FOR MISADJUSTED OR FUBARRED LINKAGE then do a repost.....which i haven't seen yet.
anywhooooo.... caught yer "g"
~:~ MarshMonster ~wonders if the op took the linkage loose like he was told to~
OPs symptoms: key don't work tranny "rocks" out of park Initial Diagnosis: ignitial diagnosis indicates further diagnosis is needed.
Conclusion: CHECK FOR MISADJUSTED OR FUBARRED LINKAGE then do a repost.....which i haven't seen yet.
(have learned to just live with it over the last year......and not to park on hills) K
==============Ken wrote:

================lmao
yeah, a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
~:~ marsh ~once drove a truck with no revearse.......wheewww....~
Jeess take the wheel off and replace the key switch. That fixed a 91 chevy.
On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:34:55 -0500, "seeray28\(steve\)"

My somewhat related experience:
89 S10 Blazer, the tilt wheel fell into my lap one day, and I had to get the steering column rebuilt to correct it. And I had the ignition switch swapped out at the same time cause the keys would, over time, be harder and harder to turn the ignition, and then stop working.
No issues after the steering column work and ignition switch replacement, BUT, I never had a gear selector issue or a key that wouldn't come out.
jeff in Atl wrote:

============ Everyones missing a very poignant diagnostic symptom!!!
The vehicle will rock out of park.
any whooo........ to the OP, see my first reply.
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crown-n-coke...~
"The vehicle will rock out of park"
Ummmmm?...'ere's my problem
91 S-10 Blazer that first had slight resistance going out of Park, which became "Needs to open door and rock to get out of Park", that how has turned into "I don't use Park cause last time had to jack up the ass end and spin tires to get out of Park"
Any ideas?
have dropped pan and everything "looked" OK