92 Integra - Heater Blower stopped NOT resistor!

Page 8 of 16

I don't think it would affect the balancer at all. On the other hand, there wouldn't be a flywheel, since the IMA is effectively the flywheel. That would help smoothness at idle.
Engine RPM when blipping the throttle could be part "drive by wire". There's a lot of computerized engine control involved. The Civic still has a throttle cable. I don't know about the Accord. The Ford Escape does not. In the Ford, blipping the throttle does absolutley nothing unless you go beyond about 2/3 throttle, at which point the RPM climbs rather slowly, maybe 2 seconds to 3000 RPM.
It could also be the heavy flywheel affect of the IMA.
--
---

True, but note that the vast majority of the time (or at least on the wimpy EPA certification cycles!) very little of that 240 hp is actually used. To be sure, the Accord is a lot heavier and less aerodynamic than the Insight. So it would benefit from a bigger battery. But (as you no doubt know) the proportion of battery to ICE size doesn't need stay the same as ICE power goes ballistic.

It seems to be exactly the same as the Civic, almost the same as the original Insight, and completely different from the Prius and Escape.
The point about the motor being tiny is true, though. The benefit from idle-stop is still there, as is the cleanliness of the engine at initial takeoff, where the ICE wouldn't normally be very efficient. The Accord IMA produces 12% more hp than the Civic.

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Say again? A quick look at the Yahoo Autos tells me that the 2005 Civic Hydrid is available with a 5-speed manual transmission. The same goes for the Insight.

Well, now the trend is to have both manual and auto trannies on the same car which is called million different names such as autostick, tiptronic, easytronic, multimod manual, activeselect or whatever... and all range of cars started to have this kind of transmission.. from cheap econobox such as Toyota Yaris 1.0 liter to expensive cars like MB and BMW. I just bought a 1.2 liter Opel Corsa with Easytronic transmission. It has 5 forward gears and you can shift the gears manualy if you want and it gets considerably better gas mielage compared to the same car with stick shift (6.8 liters / 100 kms in city versus 7.8 liters / 100 kms in city driving).
Ahmet
Turkey

car
of course, i didn't mean that these cars have 2 transmissions...just one with with the capabilities of both both manual and auto transmission...
ahmet

Yes, I wonder how they (NHTSA) are defining "manual". Some of the ones you listed are typical torque converter ("slushboxes") where they just add a manual shifting mode. Others have actual manual trannies, just with an electronic clutch, ex: BMW's SMG. I believe your "Easytronic" is the latter?
I wonder how many folk who buy the tiptronic type actually manually shift. When I've driven those, I get tired of the novelty in the first drive and just end out driving them like every other automatic.

same
I think you are correct.. Opel calls it a clutchless automatic or semi automatic. When it shifts the gear, it is not as smooth as normal automatics..You definitely feel it. a slight pause and the shift. if you take your foot off of the gas pedal slightly, it shifts easier or less noticeably. It also moves backward when you are on a very slight incline and your foot is not on the brake just like regular 5 speeds.

Well., same here too..first couple of times I stole the car from my wife, I shifted myself and got tired of it and quit...
ahmet

My mind drifts back to earlier days....
Around 1970 Renault offered an unusual (okay, *everything* about Renault was unusual, at least in those days) automatic transmission for the R16. It was a solenoid shifted manual transmission with a powdered iron clutch. The clutch was an electromagnet with steel clutch plates inside and the space inbetween was packed with iron filings. When the magnet was energized the clutch engaged. (I don't know what did the shifting.) I hear their unique creation had reliability problems - I wonder why ;-)
The 70s sure were not the good old days of automotive technology!
Mike
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:00:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Dave) wrote:

I would be surprised if these were classified as MTs. The stats actually specify % AT and I would bet that any transmission that had the capability to fully automatic would qualify. You have always been able to manually shift an AT if you like.

Probably a good thing too as you would probably wear it out if you started aggressively shifting it. The Problem is that Tiptronic et al. don't really give you the control of an MT in that you can't separate the engine from the drive train to allow rpm matching. Now if they would use the same system used in the F1 cars it might be a different story. But I think even they have a clutch pedal for standing starts.
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Gordon McGrew) wrote:

Ah, but it is a fluidic separation between the two through the torque converter. So, what are you saying would wear out?

I wish they'd put a MT in the 4 door accord V6.
Using a pronoun @ the start of a paragraph / sentence, before the subject matter is introduced, indicates low IQ ; nobody will know what the pronoun represents, before the subject matter is introduced.

What are you talking about???
Mike

It's official. You're an idiot.
Inability to comprehend common, informal English indicates low IQ or perhaps unfamiliarity with the language. Either way, you shouldn't be giving us English lessons.
No one else has a problem understanding the phrase, "It's official." But then, no one else thinks that the electric clock is robbing their car of performance.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:39:13 GMT, Gordon McGrew wrote:

Not the LED type clock, anyway.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:58:48 -0500, Bruno wrote:

Ooops! I'm sorry! I meant LCD clocks. The LED clocks do suck quite a bit of power.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.
The piping on the door side of the leather seat is already showing signs of wear, with the surface worn away in 3-4 places over a 2 inch area. I never wear clothing that could cause this.
Anybody else seeing this? I'm planning to run it over to the dealer and complain.
Paul
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:19:11 GMT, Ramapo wrote:

Yup. My 2001 TL has crappy leather, too.
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.

I've never really liked leather seating in cars. Problem is, these days, that it's standard in most "upscale" models, and you're stuck with it.

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually