First drive in snow probs: Tires, I hope...ABS brakes frightening

Page 3 of 3
Interious wrote:

The tires are your problem. You could have 10 wheel drive and it won't make any difference if your tires don't have any traction. The most sensible thing to do is to buy an extra set of cheap rims and get 4 decent snow tires. I've been using Dunlop M2 Winter Sport tires and I had absolutely no trouble at all in 8-12" of snow the other day. I passed a number of SUVs in ditches on my way to work and on the way home. I also passed a number of rear wheel drive BMW and Benz vehicles just left on the side of the road with angry occupants likely waiting for a tow...two wheel drive with wide rear tires ought to just be left inside in rain/snow. Lastly, all season tires are just that. They have decent performance in many different conditions (some better than others), but aren't top performers in any of them. If you insist on using them, get used to driving much slower in the snow.
Cheers,

Does the phrase, "Jack of all trades -- master of none?" seem to fit here?

No drive or braking system is better than the tires that put it on the road! I believe the tires on the A4s of that vintage are Eagle RS-A's. I would like to get a set of those for my next set of summer tires on my '95 90Q but I wouldn't want them for the winter. The tread pattern on them is way too tight to get a bite on the snow, they will simply spin on top like a slick. Also, the tire compound is much harder in the cold, adding to the previously mentioned "slick" effect.
When I got my 90Q used, it had balding Eagle GT's on it. I was forced to drive it in the snow with them before I got snows. They were positively frightening on the snow, although it was a lot of fun playing with oversteer and such at low speeds and torques!...until there was any reason to stop or slow down.
Bottom line- if you want nearly unfettered mobility in the snow with the Audi, get a set of soft snow tires with a nice, open tread pattern on a set of steel wheels just for the winter. Quite litterally, the only thing that stops the quattro so equipped is smooth ice or a deep snow drift. :-) It tends to stop when the wheels aren't on the ground anymore.
The "Tire Rack" sells wheel and snow tire sets already mounted and balanced and sized for the car for $400-$600. This also gets your nice alloy wheels out of the salt and sand that can eventually start to eat at the relatively chemicaly active magnesium alloys.
Gene