4.7L Longevity ?

Howdy.

I'm contemplating purchasing a used truck with the 4.7L V8. How long to these engines typically last? Just an average ballpark - I realize it has way more to do with maintenence. For example, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 5.2/5.9L with 100,000 miles on the clock that had been well maintained. I did look up the price of the rebuilt long block and the cost is staggering.

Thanks!

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

How many miles are on the truck u are thinking of purchasing ? I have read on allpar the 4.7 was designed for 150,000+ miles. I own a 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4x4, and have 41,000 miles with no problems thus far.

Good Luck

Rog

Reply to
roger taxted

Oh, by the way, i forgot to mention that minehas the 4.7 engine, also, sorry

Reply to
roger taxted

Around here, nobody wants a car with over 100k miles so there are some real deals to be found. I'll be looking in the 100-120k mile range. If a well maintained 4.7L could be good to 200k miles then I'm happy. If 120k is a typical service life then I'll reconsider.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Suddenly, without warning, roger taxted exclaimed (12-Feb-07 11:06 AM): > How many miles are on the truck u are thinking of purchasing ? I have read > on allpar the 4.7 was designed for 150,000+ miles. I own a 2004 Dakota Club > Cab 4x4, and have 41,000 miles with no problems thus far. >

My 2001 4.7L 4x4 has just over 50,000 miles on it, not as well-maintained as it should be due to being overseas (no Dodge mechanics/shops here, and about 4x as expensive as in the US at the Chrysler dealer), and it's running fine, no problems. Needs an oil change though :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I have 113K on my 2001 Dakota Quad 4.7 4x4 and the only real issues I have is the Front Rotors need replaced every 50K, the transmission gave me fits after wait for 37K to change the oil, but it's working fine now, the Cooling fan makes a jet engine noise until it kicks out.

The engine is solid as far as I can tell, the rear-end and gear boxes appear to be fine (and I've had the oil changed in the ever 15K (every 4th engine oil change). I change the engine oil every 3000~4000 miles.

I put different tires on the truck almost from the start - I have more of a high-speed mud/snow tire and it gets good traction in the snow.

The only think I don't like about it is that I got the 3.91(3.9x something) gear ratio and I get about 14MPG on the highway and 12~14MPH all other times. Oh, and when on a wet road, from a stop, it tends to spin the tires (even in 4xd mode) if I hit it a little hard - or if it hits those new white lines when I'm taking off.

I've owned a Dakota since 90, several of them, and love them but I'm considering a Toyota FJ to replace this one.

Reply to
Leythos