OT<>

Page 3 of 9
Roy wrote:

I had read and heard that. I have only seen ONE Hybrid Accord on the road. My uncle owns it. In contrast, the Hybrid Civic is selling like hotcakes down here! I see them all over. Prius is still more popular, but that is a matter of marketing and could be remedied if Honda wanted.
I also read that Honda plans to have a clean-diesel version of the Fit in 2009.
Craig C.
Craig C. wrote:

If they are poor they didn't buy a hybrid to save the environment. They mistakingly bought it thinking they'll save money on gas. People are in a frenzy about the cost of gas and just don't add up other expenses.

They didn't for the most part. The design teams are in the USA. So are the design teams for Nissan and Toyota.

To an extent thats true. People have always tried to save money where they can. So lets see, $7000 towards a hybrid or $7000 towards the kids college fund for example. So to be 'Green' should Americans just pay the extra $7000 for a clean car? Hmm...that money goes to the greedy corporate auto manufactures.

My mistake. Honda is dropping the Accord Hybrid. Toyota is talking about dropping the Camry hybrid as well.

True but if a Dem is elected you'll see that erased by higher taxes. Their very first action taken when they gained control of congress was to change the way taxes are raised. It now takes only a simple majority instead of 2/3's congress to pass a tax increase bill.

I traded in my 2001 Ram QC for a Dodge Caliber. Went from 12mpg to 28mpg. Not as good as a hybrid but far lower cost. I'm doing my part!!

Well.... maybe..... before y'all jump on the hybrid bandwagon, a visit to this website might prove illuminating...
http://www.cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy /
As in all the hype about global warming, things aren't always as they seem.....
<tink> (sound of worm can opening) Mike
Mike Simmons wrote:

I never mentioned global warming. You own that one. That subject is multi-faceted and under constant change. You debate it. I know what I believe and I'll leave it at that for now.
:-) Craig C.

nope, I ain't goin there either ;^). I just used that as an analogy...
Mike
In responce to Mike Simmons 's post. I thought everyone should know:

CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
I've said it before and i'll say it again......of course we are in a state of global warming and have been since the last ice age....THERE!
--
Chris

Amen!!
<tink> there's that sound again ;^)
Mike Simmons wrote:

Whether you believe that global warming is actually occurring or not (I do based on the data from experiments I have personally been involved in), one thing we can agree on is that we should leave the earth, at the very least, in as good or better shape as we found it.
With the population booming, that means that we have to do better with emissions from cars and industry.
Put whatever spin you want on it, whether it be global warming, lung cancer from bad air, neurological disorder from bad water, etc. ... the need to control the pollution is the key.
Craig C.

I don't disagree in principle with any of the above..... however, (there's always a however, isn't there?).... I am not convinced that the global warming is entirely man induced, nor do I believe that global warming is necessarily bad. Several economic studies have shown that there may indeed be a net benefit from global warming. Nor do I sign on with the the crowd (Al Gore types mainly) that say that because of global warming the world will come to an end. If we subscribe to their panic and adopt their proposed solutions, we will create economic chaos that would make any negative effects from global warming look like a walk in the (albeit warm) park.
Mike

Does this mean that all WC's have to shut down???? Bummer.......
Denny
Denny wrote:

Yes. Massive air pollution results from WC burgers.
:-) Craig C.

But they do help not putting as much money in the ragheads pockets.
beekeep
beekeep wrote:

Perhaps but doubtful. Oil companies have heavy investments in most alternative energy R&D and production.

Roy, though I think that hybrids are a great idea, miles does have a point. My wife is thinking about a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, but I have gotten her to look at the Yaris also. They have a little 4 door sedan that is actually pretty nice looking, rather roomy and peppy too. As I recall it gets about 45 - 50 mpg and was only like 14k fully loaded.

I looked at them. I'm leaning toward Toyota Camry 'cause they have been doing it for quite some time. They usually put out a very good product, they are a fairly decent size and they do real well if you have the misfortune to get involved in a accident.

fronds!
beekeep

Those cars are already around sort of. Biodiesel is often made from palm oil, but that's made from the fruit, not the fronds. It's becoming a problem in the tropical rain-forests. The rain-forests are being cleared to make room for oil producing palm plantations. For this reason some consider biodiesel worse than fossil fuels. Interesting article here: http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/12/06/worse-than-fossil-fuel
Note: I make biodiesel from /waste/ vegetable oil that has already been used in restaurant fryers and discarded. I don't use palm oil.
--
Ken

Another difference to me would be whether you finance it.. I'd be more inclined to go hybrid if I wasn't paying cash for it..
The payment difference on the more expensive car should be less than the fuel savings if the interest rate is decent...
I'm a firm believer that cash on hand is nice, but cash FLOW is what decides how you live...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Not sure I follow your logic there. If a car costs 7,000 more to get the hybrid version then you'll pay that much more plus the increased interest over the life of the loan. Your savings in gas over that time period will almost certainly not cover the increased cost whether paid monthly or in a lump sum.
Back to my Honda Civic example!
Gas Civic DX for $16000 @ 5%/5 years = $302/month Hybrid Civic for $23000 % 5%/5 years = $434/month
Drive 20000 miles/year = 1667 miles/month
1667/30mpg Gas * $3/gallon = $167/month 1667/50mpg Hybrid * $3/gallon = $100
Gas cost difference $67/month Loan difference = $132/month
No way to get there from here! Can't generate free money. lol

But a 1200 Sporster would be economical and you can ride it year round down there. Mine Gets 50 mpg.
beekeep