Truck Dying

I've got a '66 F100 I recently bought and it runs rather fine under most conditions, but if you put a sudden jolt on the gas (not hard even, like 1/4 the way in) the engine shuts down. After a couple seconds you can start it
back up and it'll run fine again. I'm running the truck with no choke like stated in the original manuals.
The problem is that coming from a stop and trying to get it back up to roadway speeds takes so long it isn't funny, you have to press the gas so slowly that everyone behind me gets pissed, or press it firmly and it'll shut down.
Try paint, dye might run.
mike hunt
MichaelMck wrote:

called the accelerator pump is messed up.... it floods when giving it gas and it kills... you wait for the flooding to dry up and it starts up OK..

Probably so. If it's like the carter YF one barrel, it may be one, when the pump diaphram goes bad, not only do you lose pumping action , but it also can drain gas down into the little "swimming pool" that the pump housing sits on. Normally, that housing should stay dry. But if it drips, the gas runs down a little drain hole at the bottom of the housing, and mixes with the normal mixture. So you get lousy pumping action when you press the gas, and it's also screwing up the idle mixture. It will drip, drip, drip. The idle will go from normal to crappy in a regular cycle. Acts like a vacuum leak the way the idle hunts around. If this is the case, you will see the taletell sign of gas leaking from the bottom of the carb when you pull it off. If it's real bad, you won't even have to pull it off. Gas will be dripping around the base. If the diaphram were totally shot, it could dump gas pretty fast, and cause the flooding decribed. Also, I'd check the filter and pump, and float and float needle and seat. Sometimes you can find just the pump, but if not, he'll have to buy a rebuild kit. MK

He could be lucky and maybe the linkage fell off? It's happened to me once, so you never know...