93 Ranger AT pops out of gear until warm

I am thinking vacuum modulator and read about taking seats out of an explorer instead of dropping exhaust. Please advise location of modulator and whether it is accessable without dropping exhaust or seats. Problem started out by just slipping out of gear a few times in the first mile. Now it does it sometimes starting out at red lights even when warmed up. I have to rev the engine to get it to slip back into gear with a thud unless I time it right or shift into neutral, rev, them back into drive. I can not afford a large bill, but can not do more than the level of brake job difficulty. Suggestions? Dennis

Reply to
Dennis93Ranger4LAT

An automatic won't "slip out of gear". A modulator also will not do this as it controls the upshift from 1>2 only. I do not know which trans you have, but it may be a fully electronic one in which case it has no modulator. Your trans sounds like it may be losing prsuure for some reason somewhere. This may be as simple as being a bit low on fluid. Keep in mind the fluid must be checked with the trans at normal operating temperature, the vehicle on level surface, and idling in park. Your problem may occur at as littl as 1 pint below full. A dirty or restricted filter will also cause this as well as any one of several internal seals in the trans that may harden or fail with age. When a hard seal fully warm to operating temperature, the problem may subside until it cools again. If your trans is an electronic unit, the problem may be an electrical problem. You should do yourself a favor before you start screwing with your auto trans and see a good independent trans shop for a test drive and evaluation. You may choose to get a couple of evaluations. Most shops will at least give it a look/see for free. Don't expect indepth diagnostics for free.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

On Wed, 11 May 2005 06:51:17 -0400, lugnut wrote: [...]

On a '93 Ranger it is probably the A4LD transmission. At least, that would be my guess :-). I don't know if that makes any difference regarding what you would expect the problem to be. (I only have standard transmissions)

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

"Derrick Hudson" wrote: > On Wed, 11 May 2005 06:51:17 -0400, lugnut wrote: > [...] > > > I do not know which trans you have, > > On a '93 Ranger it is probably the A4LD transmission. At > least, that > would be my guess :-). I don't know if that makes any > difference > regarding what you would expect the problem to be. (I only > have > standard transmissions) > > -D > > -- > > SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0 > 0 rows returned > >

> > www:
jabber: > snipped-for-privacy@dman13.dyndns.org

I have the same truck and the same problem. What did you end up doing to fix it?

-93on32s

Reply to
93on32s