for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Page 12 of 13
wrote:

FACT: De-ionized salt works just as well.

He didn't claim any basis in fact.

Silliness.
I keep garlic all over the place, and since I have, we have not had a single Vampire attack.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

As I said, if it works for you, do it. Does it matter what others think?
On 4/2/2010 6:54 AM Observer spake these words of knowledge:

Exactly right. Does it matter to you, OP, that you could save time and money by doing it less often, without affecting how well it 'works for you'? If not, go for it.
It's all in what matters to you.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
A good submissive is hard to beat.

On 04/02/2010 04:54 AM, Observer wrote:

does it matter if you're getting ripped off?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

I hate finding the butter with elephant tracks. Any special kind of garlic.
On 04/02/10 15:42, FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:

Elephant garlic?

http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDevelopment/OPPTD_FLY_High-Efficiency-Oil-Filters.cfm
Good post man... Gotta love the way a little article would generate so much banter.
As for the high efficiency oil filters, what would be a good brand to go with? Is the stock honda filter a good choice to stick with?
On 04/01/2010 07:27 AM, Iowna Uass wrote:

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Interesting point: "The HE filters used in this study claimed filtration of particles to 1-2 [microns], much better than standard filters of 30-50 [microns]. Using standard filters is one reason that motor oil needs to be changed; it gets dirty with small particles which results in engine wear. In this regard, standard filters have not improved over the years compared to significant improvements in motor oil quality. The oil change interval set in warranties is a result of standard filters being the limiting factor, not the motor oil quality. Hence, higher quality filters will help to extend motor oil life to its full potential."
This raises the question: would it be safe to keep engine oil for 10,000 miles if you replace JUST the oil filter every 5,000 miles?
Is an HE filter necessary? Oil analysis comparisons of the HE Fram X2 filter vs. a normal CarQuest filter would have been nice.
Maybe I can do an experiment with my '96 Camry (176k miles). For my wife's car, the 5,000 mile oil change will remain...
Michael
Michael wrote:

The problem is that the oil filter is filtering out the small particles. So you still have the small particles going right through the filter.

Only if the comparisons include small particles.

And how are you going to determine the results of the experiment. You have an n of 1 (one sample). Not very useful.
This doesn't take into account that the additives in the oil get used up.
Jeff

Good point.
Then again the ('96) car's seen oil change intervals of 8000 miles anyway. Was thinking of pulling the valve cover to see how it's doing. In the absence of HE vs. regular oil filter data, was thinking of just changing the (regular) filter, leaving the oil in, for say 8000 miles again. Doesn't the manual specify 7500 miles? Don't have it on me at the moment...

The article implied that oil additives aren't the limiting factor: it's the oil filter that is the limiting factor.
Michael
On 04/01/2010 12:11 PM, Michael wrote:

filters help, but they're not the only thing - oil stability and chemistry is important too.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 01/04/10 11:56 AM, Michael wrote:

On the 96 Camry it would be easy (assuming a 4 cylinder) because of the oil filter placement. On a lot of vehicles, changing just the filter would be messy.
Of course the whole premise is wrong to begin with though. Using "standard" filters has nothing to do with how often the oil needs to be changed.
On 04/01/2010 12:39 PM, SMS wrote:

generally, it's not if you leave the motor to stand for an hour before you spin the filter off. try this yourself.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

The smaller the particle the filter traps, the quicker it is going to clog up. Also, until you get to a point of saturation, the size of the particles missed by a "standard" filter are not large enough to do much engine wear. I'm fairly anal about my vehicle, but I don't use filters that trap very fine particles. I use regular old standard filters. They are less prone to being clogged. And if that happens the bypass kicks in and you have no filtering at all.

It would depend on the service. If it's all highway miles, maybe.. If not, pretty risky.. :(

I think it's a waste of money, and also not the greatest idea as I have already touched on.

If your Camry has 176k miles on it, you are probably doing something right. Why change? :/
Myself, I use regular standard filters, half decent oil, "castrol syntec blend", and I change it every 5k miles like the manual and the blinky light on the dashboard says. I'm not a fan of "extended oil change skeds". The purpose of changing the oil and filter is to remove the dirt, acids, moisture, and whatever else, and to replenish the additives in the oil. I'm not going much past 5k in any of my vehicles, and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. My older trucks actually get dirtier after 5k miles than my newer Corolla. It's so clean burning it is really not that bad after 5k.. But I change it anyway. Cheap insurance. I don't use synth blend in the trucks though.. Just regular dino oil.. I only use the synth blend in the Corolla as extra insurance against the dreaded gelling problem. Again, the extra cost is cheap insurance the way I see it.
On Apr 1, 3:06pm, snipped-for-privacy@wt.net wrote:

Ok, thanks for the info. Good points all around. Maybe the car can go longer on multiple filters, but 5k miles is long enough. My use might even qualify as "severe" come to think of it... mixed city/ highway driving.
Was using Castrol regular 10W-30, thinking of putting in regular Mobil 5W-30 for better fuel economy next change due in ~900 miles.
Thanks,
Michael
On 04/01/2010 03:32 PM, Michael wrote:

ok, if mobil will go 20k miles per actual usage: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/4291579733 /
will you still change it at 5k?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I was thinking of extending the interval, but when I looked for an oil change interval in my manual I couldn't find one (!?) Haynes specifies a 3000 mile interval for both the '96 and '99.
Funny how Mobil doesn't say extended intervals are ok...
I guess I'll just replace oil and filter at 5k...
On 04/05/2010 08:59 AM, Michael wrote:

yes they do - they specifically give mileages for the following: clean 5000 clean 7500 m1 extended performance - 15000.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum