Wow! How about that new Genesis!

Page 2 of 5  
Thee Chicago Wolf wrote:


Thanks for the entertainment.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The real point is that the Sonato, nor any other car sold in the US, is capable of giving fuel mileage even close to what they should be giving. If we got off our butts and put diesels in all our cars, large and small, we would probably be oil independent given the 35% improvement in fuel economy that diesels are capable of giving. Three Chicago Wolf is right on and benick is hopelessly entrenched in his own little world to ever see out into the real world and recognize where his offspring will be in 20 years. His group's legacy to them is what is dooming all our children.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I've been to Europe many times and NEVER have I seen a pickup truck of the size of the US version. Those workers get the job done and haul their tools without a big truck. In fact, it is extremely rare to even see a small pickup truck. They mainly use little panel trucks that work very well, evidently. Point is that you don't NEED that F350 to haul a tool box................

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
631grant wrote:

I've been to Europe many times also and lived there for more than 4 months a couple of decades ago. Everything in Europe is smaller, refrigerators were not much larger than my college dorm fridge and most other appliances were similarly smaller. You don't need a large truck to carry small stuff, I agree. However, many in the UK had to visit the grocery store multiple times a week to get what they needed as they could fit only so much in their refrigerators and small kitchens. This isn't a problem when the store is 1 km distant, but I live 5 miles from the nearest convenience store and 15 from the nearest real supermarket. So, getting a jug of milk requires a 10 mile drive. I could buy an 8 cu ft fridge and drive to the store every other day, but I think it more efficient to load my fridge once a week and save the driving. However, this does require larger trucks to deliver such appliances, but I believe the trade-off is in my favor.
Energy consumption is a complex system and often the "obviously" smart choice is actually the wrong choice when the total system is evaluated.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Let me understand this, Matt. You couldn't get a week's worth of groceries in a small car?????? Bad comparison. Sorry. They don't have small cars in Europe because they have small refrigerators and don't need to haul a lot of groceries. You certainly are smart enough to not buy a large truck just to pick up a large appliance. If you are any good at negotiating, you can get it delivered as part of the purchase.
...............

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
631grant wrote:

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. SOMEBODY needs a large truck to deliver a 22 cu ft refrigerator, a freezer, a washer and dryer, etc. Just because somebody else has to buy the truck doesn't change the fallacy of your argument against large trucks.
I also plow my own driveway (it is 1700' feet long), haul my own firewood, etc. This doesn't work well with a small car...
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yes, but that truck is a diesel used exclusively to deliver product to multiple locations making it efficient to operate. It isn't used to haul the wife to the mall or the kids to a soccer game or all the other wasteful trips that the truck takes during its lifetime. Plowing a driveway is a legitimate use but with a year's worth of fuel difference between the 17 mpg truck and a 32 mpg car, you could hire someone to plow it. Also, I use a 4 wheeler trailer to haul my firewood so I only have to pull the trailer a few times a year and not haul the weight of the truck the rest of the year. That's something else you see in Europe. They have a lot of trailer hitches for just such occasions.
My reading comprehension is quite good but it just makes me sick to read your drivel.......

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
631grant wrote:

And it is better that someone else plow my driveway with their 17 MPG truck rather than me plow it with my 18 MPG truck? Sorry, but that logic isn't logical.

If you think what I wrote is drivel, then that confirms your lack of reading comprehension.
You are just too easy and just can't help yourself from responding to everything I write.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I reply to you, Matt, because I've read many of your comments over time and you seem to be knowledgeable; therefore, I still have some hope that you can 'see the light'. :o) It's always healthy to debate both sides of a dilemna.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
tjnamtiw wrote:

If only there were a light to see? :-)
Yes, I enjoy a good debate and believe that debates can be both educational and entertaining.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

This debate definitely entertained the heck outta me :-)
For the record, I believe the earth is warming. I don't believe anyone has really figured out why yet. I also believe it is a cyclical event that there ain't a thing we can do about. I am also a registered Republican but I do vote for an occasional "D". I can't find anyone I can really align with this time around though :-(
Eric
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Eric G. wrote:

Yes, I'm in much the same boat. I'm not a fan of any of the front runners or any of the "independents in waiting" such as Bloomberg. I may write in someone's name just so I can say I voted and did my civic duty, but did so without compromising my beliefs.
Matt
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


At this point in time I'd have to agree with a write in being the best choice for me as well. Bloomberg scares the heck out of me. His idea of gun control is to allow only the criminals and police to have guns. His fiscal policies seem pretty sound though, and I know many around here in NJ would vote for him if he throws his hat in to the ring.
Doesn't Reagan have any relatives that want to run??? :-)
Eric
'Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose.' - Ronald Reagan
'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' - Ronald Reagan
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan
'Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong.' - Ronald Reagan
'I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.' - Ronald Reagan
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.' - Ronald Reagan
'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.' - Ronald Reagan 'The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.' - Ronald Reagan
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' - Ronald Reagan
'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.' - Ronald Reagan
'Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed, there are many rewards; if you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book.' - Ronald Reagan
'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.' - Ronald Reagan
'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' - Ronald Reagan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 23:15:30 GMT, "Eric G."

I don't want to add confusion on top of doubt, but...
http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id (7279412587175
I already hate global cooling. :( -
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Jeez, Bob. You'll believe just about anyone, won't you?? :-)
To be honest, it has more credibility to me than Al Gore does. Does this mean we'll have to get the government to regulate that all cars and trucks ahouls get LESS than 10 MPG and generate more CO2? Oh wait, I see it says the sun overpowers anything man could ever do to the environment, CO2 wise that is.
Eric
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

This is the best (IMHO) objective and non-partisan take on the subject I've found: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html It's worth everyone's time to read it.
I especially like this snippet:
Global warming alarmists maintain that global temperatures have increased since about A.D. 1860 to the present as the result of the so-called "Industrial Revolution,"-- caused by releases of large amounts of greenhouse gases (principally carbon dioxide) from manmade sources into the atmosphere causing a runaway "Greenhouse Effect." Was man really responsible for pulling the Earth out of the Little Ice Age with his industrial pollution? If so, this may be one of the greatest unheralded achievements of the Industrial Age!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Feb 2008 17:15:30) about "Re: Wow! How about that new Genesis!":
EG> This debate definitely entertained the heck outta me :-)
Whatever this is it is -not- a debate.
More like a farce. ;-)
Best Regards
=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
17:40:37) about "Re: Wow! How about that new Genesis!":
> Let me understand this, Matt. You couldn't get a week's worth of > groceries in a small car?????? Bad comparison. Sorry. They don't have > small cars in Europe because they have small refrigerators and don't > need to haul a lot of groceries. You certainly are smart enough to not > buy a large truck just to pick up a large appliance. If you are any good > at negotiating, you can get it delivered as part of the purchase.
Oh God I am going to -die- laughing at you fellas!
Best Regards
=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Benick keeps referring to Al Gore. Benick, have you ever watched Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth' and comprehended what he was outlining for you? Or did you just take someone's word that it was a bunch of tree-hugging bum dope?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.