Wow! How about that new Genesis!

Page 4 of 5
There you go!!! My point exactly! Thanks, Finn, for showing everyone that we cannot buy a 'sane' sized vehicle as long as people keep driving huge
cars....

You may have made that comment in jest, but exactly that was suggested by a writer to the Editor of the Hartford Courant. Inspired by a couple of recent articles about farmland being developed and lack of starter houses, a writer suggested that couple with no children be made to move from their large homes so others with greater need for space for families can take them over. Older couples should move to a condo or small apartment.
wrote in message

No it was not in jest as it has been mentioned on other message boards I visit by the Moonbat Crowd....Another"catch phrase" the moonbats use is"Rural Cleansing". I like to call them watermellons...Green on the outside,RED on the inside...
"Was you born stupid " says it all. As I said, "there are those of you out there with the 'I can afford it so I'm going to get it' mindset " and this guy proves it. As long as he exists, we are doomed to kissing the butts of the Arabs to get fuel for his truck and suffer along with him. Stupid, stupid.

That's one way to look at the matter. Another is that the real idiots are those who blindly think they can drive around in the lightest, smallest, most vulnerable pieces of junk, with a singular focus on the economics of their vehicle, and then blame others who actually care about other factors (like survivability) for the consequences of their decisions.
Long ago I lived in Okinawa for three years. At the time, a 60's Ford Falcon was a large car, and you'd see something like it from time to time on the roads. Mostly, you saw and you drove things more akin to a motorcycle with a cheap frame and body around it, and mounted on four wheels instead of two. Common engines were indeed a 360cc motorcycle engine. Fuel economy was pretty darned good. Safety wasn't. Those vehicles didn't have to encounter an SUV, or a pickup, or a full frame vehicle to present a real danger to the occupants. Anything more significant than a strong wind presented a significant danger to the occupants. "Real cars" of the time which were a lot lighter and smaller than an Accord is today were a very real threat to these things. The point is that there is a point where this blind pursuit of economy, ignorant of all other factors is as idiotic as anything else. These voices that cry out about how endangered they are by "big behemoths" are nothing short of idiotic.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Right. That's why old people drive in the biggest boats they can find. Your point is very dull.
- Thee Chicago Wolf

Your point never made it through. Try that again?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

They drive boats because they are comfortable. Be careful though... some of those "boats" are likely to get better MPG than your Sonata. I've rented Park Avenues and some Cadillac's that got excellent MPG.

Point of fact - I owned a Buick Park Avenue Ultra with a supercharged 3.8L V-6. I put over 225,000 miles on that car in complete luxury, and it easily rolled its way down the interstate at over 30mpg. Around town the car got 24mpg. Talk about fast... the supercharged 3.8 was just fast. Great car. But of course, it was one of those "boats"...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Well, Mike, you have also bolstered my position that we will never progress until we can buy and drive small cars and feel safe. That will not happen until we outlaw, out-legislate, or out-tax the huge vehicles from our roads. In the meantime, we are mired in the indecision and nearsightedness so evident on this board and in our society.

631grant wrote:

And just what size vehicles do you propose to outlaw? Lemme guess, anything larger than what YOU drive, right?
Matt

Yeah - I hate yuppies too. They whine too much about what everyone else has, that they don't believe those other people should have. Oh by the way - don't blame people with more safe cars for your plight in life. Go ahead and buy that tin can. After all, it does not matter if other cars on the road are big enough to harm you - you already placed yourself in that position with your decision to purchase a cheap piece of junk that something as benign as a tree along side of the road would threaten.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
There's the Mike I know and love! :o) Right to the point. Well, I own a 07 Sonata so I guess that's your 'cheap piece of junk' you're talking about. Oh, that's right, you own one too! I want very, very much to buy a smaller car but as I said many times, I was forced to buy something reasonably able to survive a crash with 'benick's' wasteful, useless truck. The 'plight of my life' is that I'm retired with a sizeable sum in the banks plus Vanguard Funds and living quite well with cars in the garage and food in the fridge. Don't worry about me. I'll make it. Worry about your children and grandchildren. They are the ones getting screwed by you people.

Well, let me guess. You didn't watch it either................. What a sad lot.

Yes, it is cool. But it's not big enough or expensive enough for me. I'm waiting for Hyundai to move into production their concept car, the Hyundai "Tanker". It has tracks instead of tires and sports an optional 50mm cannon. That'll piss off the eco-loony Democrats and also make the Republicans in the SUV's think twice before they tailgate.
Fred

Is that a forward, rear or swivel mounted canon? I personally prefer the forward mounted to clear the left-lane laggards! With a good strong rear bumper tailgaters won't bother me.
John St Peters wrote:

WOW !!!!! has anybody seen the NEW HYUNDAI GENESIS YET ?
Hank

I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show and was impressed by the interior but prefer the Azera's exterior. If it came down to the two I think I would chose the Azera as it would be more than adequate for my needs and probably 5k cheaper, although who knows what the price of the 6 cyl. will be (perhaps equal to the Azera but that wouldn't make much marketing sense to me. On the other hand I would also test drive the Genesis and then who knows???? John