300TDi Fuel pump adjustment

I have a 1993/4 300Tdi 110 CSW which I think is very down on power. I have had it almost 1-1/2 years now and it has been like this since I got it.

The previous owner 9according to his records) had it back in the garage a few times for 'poor fuel consumption'. I think they had turned the fuel pump down (I belive that this is poss). At its last MOT the emissions were approx 2.1% CO2 (the max for a turbo I believe is 3%). This would indicate to me that the fuel was turned down.

I had a 300Tdi '97 Discovery before the 110 and it went like stink compared to the 110 and its emissions were 2.9%.

Should the 110 give a comparable performance to the Disco (I unsderstand the top speed will be less, I understand that the 100 has different gearing in the diff).

How do you adjust the pump?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Nunn

In article , Steve Nunn writes

Hi

First off it is not the CO2 that you are measuring on a diesel test.

It is the density of the smoke .

II put hundreds of diesel engines through their MOT every year and there and the variation between 300tdis is quite marked.

The performance of your 300 defender would be improved by carefully upping the fuelling.

Although your 110 is lower geared than the Disco it also has larger tyres so the difference won't be as great as if you were running the same size tyres as the Disco.

Judging by your MOT test figure there is room for safe improvement but also bare mind that by simply repeating the test would give you a different figure again.

hope this helps

Reply to
marc

Marc,

What I plan to do is to clean out the intercooler, and check for any colapsed hoses.

What I need to find out is how to up the fuel, I know there is suppoesed to be a bolt/ screw in the centre of the rear of the rear of fuel pump, when I looked I couldnt find any bolt that was in the centre of the pumnp. Am I looking in the right place?

Which way do you tunr the screw?

And how much 1/4 turn, 1/2 a turn at a time?

Reply to
Steve Nunn

In news:40cccaff snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com, Steve Nunn expelled:

1 flat on the head (1/6th of a turn) at a time. When it black smokes under acceleration you've gone too far and should go back a flat.
Reply to
EMB

"EMB" wrote in news:cajdnd$5b1$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz:

I know nothing about adjusting fuel pumps but I have aligned a few items of professional video equipment in my time -- so the first rule has to be to mark the current position of any screws and keep careful notes of whatever you do! 1/6th of a turn is fine, but was that clockwise or anti-clockwise before the interuption??

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

In article , Steve Nunn wrote:.

Isn't the 300Tdi in a higher state of tune in the Disco, something like

25BHP more? Also I think the 110 is heavier too.
Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 14 Jun 2004 07:03:54 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

hehe.

fuel adjustment on diesel pumps is easy if they're the kind with an external adjuster; bosch ones as used on TDis are thus; the adjuster is just above the injection pipes on the "back" of the pump. It's typically got one of several kinds of tamper-proofing.

normally, you screw them in (clockwise) to supply more fuel. If you do this with the engine running at idle, it'll normally tend to speed up slightly.

hmmm. I've got all this stuff in a text file somewhere... aha:

disclaimer: If anything you do following reading this breaks your engine, don't come crying to me. You do this type of stuff at your own risk.

first service the engine, including air filter, diesel filter and valve clearances.

then check that when you put the pedal to the floor it does actually open the pump to the stop - cable can be slack, if so, take up the slack in the cable, till there's just a little bit of free play with yer foot off, to make sure it goes back to idle properly.

next check the free-revving speed: make sure the engine's thoroughly warm and has plenty of oil; as per the MOT smoke test, which is basically what you're doing...

floor the throttle, wait for the engine speed to stabilise (takes about 2-3 seconds), note the RPM and release the throttle. You need a rev counter for this, which is no problem on the disco... It should do about 4500 rpm. You can set it to just under 5000 without apparently harming things; though of course you don't rev it that hard in normal use. Do this by moving the maximum speed stop on the pump, which is the stop which the pump lever hits when it's "open". Move it a little at a time and check the revs you're getting. Note that it has a seal on it...

Having done that, instruct an assistant in the technique of doing the revs thing, and watch the exhaust (or put a mirror up so you can see the exhaust, I guess - if the exhaust comes out sideways you can see the exhaust in the driving mirror. Rev the engine as before, let it idle for a few seconds, then repeat, and look for smoke. If there's a lot of black smoke, it's running too much fuel; if there's no obvious smoke it can be turned up. The fuelling adjuster is on the "back" end of the pump, i.e. the opposite end to the pulley. The adjuster comes out parallel with the fuel outlet pipes, above them and towards the off side of the vehicle. it has a 13mm locknut, and a threaded rod which protrudes, the end of the rod has a 6mm hex on it. There will be some kind of seal on the adjuster, which may hide the locknut. slacken the locknut and then turn the adjuster in by no more than 1/4 turn, re-tighten the locknut and look for smoke as before. You're aiming for a situation where there's a slight amount of black smoke as the engine is accelerating, but no obvious smoke once it's up to revs. If you get a lot of smoke, you've gone too far, so back it off a bit. The adjustment is quite sensitive, a quarter turn is usually enough.

If you have a friendly MOT garage, you can do the last phase with the aid of the smoke checker for MOTs, and make sure you've got it nicely below the MOT threshold; otherwise, you may fail the test... in the event of it being slightly too smoky on test, the best bet is to back the maximum speed off to the book value of 4500, which will probably solve it - if it doesn't, then you've over-done it on the fuelling adjustment anyway.

The point about adjusting the maximum speed is not to allow it to rev very fast on the road - it improves the mid-range performance at full throttle, by allowing the pump to "open" slightly more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for all the advice. I turned the fuel up today, what a difference (not sure what the fuel consumptions going to be like ;-)

When I looked a while ago I couldnt find the fuel adjustment, not sure why since its obvious now I've found it.

There a hill up the road from me, which the Disco would hit nearly 50mph at the top, the 110 struggled to get to 28mph. Now the 110 will do approx 42mph with a bit of blacvk smoke out the back (I cant remember what the Disco was like smoke wise).

Now I plan to clean the intercooler and check the turbo boost pressure (see other post).

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Nunn