Damn wiring

Damn and double damn. I stopped off for a snack tonight and discovered one of my tail lights wasn't working, further fiddling shows the stop lamp is not working either, so it is not likely to be the bulb. (couldn't be bothered to take the protective cage off to check the filaments as I have to loosen the ladder too since it is in the way) On checking the wiring diagram and then looking at the wiring it seems that nothing matches up, and at some point someone has substituted. Looks like it is going to be trial and error figuring out what connects to what or, what doesn't in the morning :(

Reply to
Larry

If both stop and tail not working, it is likely to be the earth. Although I have had one occasion when it was simply the bulb had come loose!(probably was not put in properly) JD

Reply to
JD

Exactly that last week... spent longer looking for the screw I dropped.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

No the earth was fine it turns out to have been a combination of two things, corroded feed to the tail lamps in the jury rigged rats nest underneath and a poor feed from the fuse box to my brake light switch so it was dropping voltage. I have no idea what the last owner thought he was doing as there are wires underneath that should not be there.

Reply to
Larry

The looms on my SIII were a complete mess when I bought it, the front loom appeared to be from an SII with extensions for the SIII lights, the rear loom had been melted in a couple of places while welding the chassis so copper was showing, and someone had accessorised if with mains cable and chocolate blocks!.

I ripped the lot out and replaced with new home made looms as ready made ones were going to cost a fortune, I have to admit I spent just as much on the materials but at least I did get all the tow sockets and additional lights properly integrated into the looms which you don't get buying ready made.

Greg

Reply to
Greg