Disco 2 Service Questions

Hi Everyone, Got sick of paying large amounts for dealer service so bought the workshop manual to do the 40000 service on my '99 TD5 Automatic. While underneath for the first time I discovered a few things which don't get a mention in the manual.

  1. On the bottom of the Torque convertor housing, adjacent to the small round plate held by 3 screws there is a large threaded hole with nothing screwed into it. I reckon its about a 13 mm threaded hole going into the torque convertor housing. Should there be anything screwed into this hole????

  1. The manual mentions removal of an underbelly pan in order to change the engine oil. There is no underbelly pan on mine - at least nothing that gets remotely in the way of removal of the sump plug. Is this only for certain markets? There is a plastic sort of guard under the radiator/oil cooler but thats a long way further forward than the oil pan. ????

  2. Re: changing the Fuel filter. Does the whole canister unscrew? Do you need to remove the sedimenter first? Does that just screw off?

Very grateful to anybody who takes the time to answer any or all of the above.

Regards Rob

Reply to
Rob

In news:nUCoc.35577$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au, Rob wrote: | Hi Everyone, | Got sick of paying large amounts for dealer service so bought the | workshop manual to do the 40000 service on my '99 TD5 Automatic. | While underneath for the first time I discovered a few things which | don't get a mention in the manual. | | 1. On the bottom of the Torque convertor housing, adjacent to the | small round plate held by 3 screws there is a large threaded hole | with nothing screwed into it. I reckon its about a 13 mm threaded | hole going into the torque convertor housing. Should there be | anything screwed into this hole???? | | 2. The manual mentions removal of an underbelly pan in order to | change the engine oil. There is no underbelly pan on mine - at least | nothing that gets remotely in the way of removal of the sump plug. Is | this only for certain markets? | There is a plastic sort of guard under the radiator/oil cooler but | thats a long way further forward than the oil pan. ???? | | 3. Re: changing the Fuel filter. Does the whole canister unscrew? Do | you need to remove the sedimenter first? Does that just screw off? | | Very grateful to anybody who takes the time to answer any or all of | the above. | | Regards | Rob

Rob,

Take a peek at

- tons of good stuff on there!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

OK. Went to the local dealer on Saturday afternoon when they were closed and crawled under a few cars on the forecourt. As a result I can report that all Discoveries built for the Australian market do not have the underbelly pan mentioned in the workshop manual.

Secondly all TD5 automatics (including the brand new ones) have the threaded hole in the torque convertor housing on the right hand side of the small circular plate - the purpose of it remains a mystery but at least nothing has fallen off mine. The V8's don't have the threaded hole so they obviously have a different torque convertor housing.

Still trying to find a bit more detail (than that provided in the manual) on changing the diesel fuel filter. Rob

Reply to
Rob

Answer to 1 question

The treaded hole is for fitting a tool to hold the torque converter when removing the gearbox

Reply to

Pitter Patter went the keys,, p@?.?.invalid enlightened me...

Is this a windup? Or is there really such a tool? And where does it attach? And how do you fit and remove the tool? If this is true (and if it is I'll be first to say mebedmescepticmesorry) I'd better find another hole to fit wading plugs to....

Reply to
weallhatebillgates

On or around Sat, 22 May 2004 23:49:45 +0100, weallhatebillgates enlightened us thusly:

There's a big round hole in the bottom of the auto bellhousings with a cover (in theory) on it. This lets you get a tool (I use a very big screwdriver) in to hold the TC still while you unbolt it from the flexplate. Then when you pull the gearbox you don't pull the TC out of the front of it.

This is better than leaving the TC bolted to the engine, as it's hard to get to to line up and go back together, also, it lets oil out of the box, 'cos the seal works on the shaft part of the TC.

however, the threaded hole is AFAIK for the wading plug. Mind, the TC unlike a clutch is sealed and so water getting in there can't do much harm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles