Erratic Range Rover Rev Counter

Hello all,

1988 RR vogue

You get one problem finally fixed and another one surfaces on the way home from the garage, it's not Sod's Law it's Land Rover Law. It's all part of "The ownership experience" :-)

So on the third attempt my leaking radiator had been replaced with one that didn't resemble a seive and I'm driving home happy and the rev counter started going haywire....

It's fine at tickover but as soon as there is any load it's jumping about like a crazy thing, then it's fine for a few seconds and off it goes again. Alternator was new earlier this year, no red lights suggesting charging problems. So what do we think this one is?

Totally unrealted but annoying I've lost the light on my speedo needle. I understand it's some fibre optic type thingy but where is the bulb for it? I've had a root around in the instrument binacle and all bulbs that were there, were working. Does this mean I need to take off the whole pod and get the speedo out to fiddle with it?

I must point out the root around in the bincale by myself and the rev counter failing were seperated by a month (therefore removing any guilt from me whatsoever..:-))

Alan Mudd

Reply to
Alan Mudd

On or around Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:46:58 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Mudd" enlightened us thusly:

crappy connection to the alternator. there's a little white (normally) wire, check that it's connected securely.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tacho is driven by a signal from the BeCM (Body electrical Control Module) which in turn is supplied by pulses from the ECM (Engine Control Module) which gets pulses from a crankshaft position sensor located under the left hand rear of the engine!!!! Have fun.

Gary

Reply to
Gazza

On or around Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:38:58 +0000 (UTC), "Gazza" enlightened us thusly:

on an 88? didn't BECM come in with the P38? 88 is about erm, F or G reg, and thus a classic. In which case, it's more likely that the rev counter is driven from the alternator. Unless it's had a makeover with a modern engine and control system.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorry, misread the date as 98, oops, I'll get me coat

Gary

Reply to
Gazza

Yeah it is an 88 with a new 4.6, but the injection and electronics are all flapper type (albeit somewhat modified) but the electrics are basically all

1988 3.5 in principle.

I've not had a chance to have a good look in daylight hours as yet, but the thin wires to the back of the alternator look terribly old and fragile, I think I'll renew as much as I can as a matter of course.

Any ideas on the speedo needle light?

Thanks.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

On or around Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:06:05 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Mudd" enlightened us thusly:

you has to pull the speedo out. There's an ickle bulb somewhere that makes it glow, which has doubtless failed. Whether you can (easily) replace it I dunno. Will have to do dash lights on the Ford, soon, half the buggers have gone out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had a similar problem on my 88. It turned out that the fibre optic had come adrift inside the pod. You need to remove the speedo part that has MPH written on it. Sqeeze it gently and pull forward. You can now see the full speedo needle and a black wire that locates into the plastic moulding. This is the fibre optic cable that sends light into the end of the speed needle. There is no special bulb for this. If I remember rightly, one of the bulbs that light the rest of the dial provides the light source for the fibre optic.

Reply to
John Dennington

On or around Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:13:51 -0000, "John Dennington" enlightened us thusly:

could be that light has gone out then. I've never actually had a RR one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This sounds like like one of those jobs that's going to create more headaches than it solves.

Ahh well it gives me something to do instead of beaching out in front of the TV over the Christmas break.

Thanks guys

Alan

Reply to
Alan Mudd