LED "bulbs"

well, they showed up. not bad going, posted in St Louis, Mo, on the 17th, so fair play to both superbright leds and the US postal service.

first impressions not that impressive, IYSWIM - nicely made units but didn't look all that bright. There again, it was a bright sunny morning, so ordinary lights don't look "bright" either - the standard LR fittings aren't the best in the world either. The lenses do a fair job of scattering the narrow LED beam though. I imagine that for fitments with clear nonfaceted covers, you'd do better with the wide-angle type.

few minutes ago, about the sort of time you'd be looking at putting lights on and they look much more impressive. 12-led white ones for the front are impressively bright in the dusk. ditto the 19-led rears in "rear light" mode. Brake light mode is pretty bright.

Indicators not so clever - as expected, they flash too fast. Reasonably bright units however. Sundry playing with various resistors yielded not much of any help. The 6 ohm 50W resistor they supply isn't enough for one side on its own, unsurprisingly. However, it's a) over-rated by at least a factor of 2 for what it's doing and b) over $4 each. A little searching in Maplin's online catalogue produces 6.8 ohm 10W wirewound resistors which say they can stand 10X rated power for 5 seconds, so I reckon they'll handle pretending to be an indicator bulb quite well - it's around about 20W at a

50% duty cycle, but only when the indicators are on. Those are 19p each, and 4 of them including postage are less than one of the big feckers.

One thing I tried was a dim-dip resistor, that slows the indicators down but is too low resistance, and makes a voltage drop which makes the light dimmer.

had they looked as though they'd fit, I'd have been tempted by the jumbo-size 30-led ones, but I'm fairly sure they'd not fit in the normal lights.

tried to take some pictures late this afternoon, but they came out crap. I'll have to dig the tripod out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Wouldn't it be easier to make up a timer operating a relay

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Twas Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:08:48 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

where did you get them? was it a website?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:43:21 -0000, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

that's what the flasher unit is, AFAICS. I may yet get around to working out how it operates and how to retime it for different ouptut wattage.

interestingly, both the Hella one on the 110 and a spare lucas one I've got have the same IC on 'em. little 8-legged sod. also a couple of resistors and a small capacitor, and in the case of the hella one which also flashes a trailer light on the dash, a transistor and a diode.

I spose it might be easier to make me own timer than retime the existing one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:04:24 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

click on the "bulbs" bit.

make sure you get the right sort - some of 'em are 2-contact, some are single-contact. The red dual contact ones are stop/tail types, which have a dim and bright setting by some cunningness.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Why not fit an electronic flasher unit?

Reply to
SimonJ

That's probably a 555 timer IC in which case the capacitor is what governs the flash rate.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Put two 21w indictor units under the arches each side... would be cool when chaning tyres in dark country lanes with the hazard lights on :-) and solve all this timer palava.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Connect the flasher to a pair of 21w bulbs behind the dash, and wire two relays in parallel with them. The relays operate the LED lights and the flasher goes at the correct rate, regardless

Seen it done that way on some Iveco buses we have

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Not for the Kiljoy bit, does the fitting of these -

a. make your car illegal with respect to Lighting laws b. is there any truth in the story I was told you can only put the same type of lamp in as a replacement, as the type which were in there when it left the factory ? Due to homolagation (?) Hence the reason why brighter bulbs are technically not legal.

Okay placing flak jacket on now. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

I think they do, yes.

Still got some in my 110 though.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

On or around Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:20:18 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

don't think it said 555. it has got a number, but of course they're all outside. I did note that they had 2 different capacitor values.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:58:32 -0000, "Dave H" enlightened us thusly:

I think mine's OK, by virtue of being pre-86. a lot of the approval shit comes in for "first used after 10/86" or some such date.

and yes, probably, they're not legal, unless they have approval marks on. didn't notice, to be honest.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They are perfectly legal.

Reply to
SimonJ

Sounds about right for Iveco! They never were any good at wiring!

Reply to
SimonJ

I've had these in the stop/tail lights on my sj413 for about a year now, I got them from a little "boy racer" type car accessory shop in Leeds (£8 each). I find them a little dim during the day, but at night they are wonderful things, you don't get a true impression of how they look till you follow them down the road, (swap cars with someone for a few miles) you'll be well impressed.

BTW I have landrover rear lights on the 413, and the stop/tail have clear lenses on. been approached a few times at traffic lights etc by boy racer types wanting to know how I get red lights with no red lenses OR red bulb.

Reply to
Smurf

Twas Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:17:08 -0000 when "Smurf" put finger to keyboard producing:

I've seen them in my local car gubbins place, I suspect all LED's are not created equal though.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:08:48 +0000 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

Can you give me the codes for the stop/tail's and the side lights you ordered? and wide or narrow beam?

While I'm here, does anyone else want to order some and we can save on the postage?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:38:28 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

these seem pretty well-made, and at 19 leds per clusrter they're about as many as you can fit into a normal 21W-bulb-sized space. The 12-led ones have have some spaces.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:48:51 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

I went for the 1157-R19 for stop/tail, the 1156-A19 for indicators and the

1156W12 for front side lamps. The 12-led white ones are plenty bright enough for position lamps, and save you a few bucks.

I found with the standard white plastic style LEP lamps that the contact strip down the side which goes to earth the lamp to one of the mounting screws needs to be pushed in flush with the side of the plastic, if it's not already, or the bulbs are a tight fit.

will report on resistors - I've ordered some from Maplin. I didn't rate paying over $4 per resistor. 4x 6.8 ohm 10W from maplins plus postage only come to about that much. The ones I've ordered are supposed to be able to take 10X rated power for 5 seconds, which since they'r only going to be asked to take about 2X rated power and that on a 50% duty cycle, and not for long, should mean they'll survive OK. But they're not here yet, so my indicators doe about 150 to the minute at the moment. as someone said, though, what sort of sad f*cker would sit there and count 'em?

Reply to
Austin Shackles