Spark plugs - New one on me.

Well last night given I was working Nights and there was a good chance of Getting Morph on to the works compound I went to work in him.

I got 20 Yards up the road and he died, so I suspected the fuel pump again after the Pre Malvern hickups. I hit the starter and eventually he slowly fired back up, apparently flooded but spluttered around the estate and then off we went.

Half way to work and suddenly the left bank of the engine sounded to have a blow, the blow got worse and worse through out the trip but occasionally eased up. Odd I thought, maybe the exhaust motion or a cracked manifold. Got to work and checked it in my brake but given it was as dark as a dark thing and I has no gizmology I couldn't trace the source.

On my way home I'm coming through the local town having negotiated a roundabout and the engine died again.. very sudden as in no spark so unluck dude we're rolling home. Needless to say the large bank ahead meant I had to pull over.

I did manage to find a 12v ciggy socket lamp I'd stowed aware , whipped the hood off and took a coursory glance around the bay and clocked the negative wire from the coil bobbing around, couple of wrist delocating minutes later we were on the go - Now I'm thinking this was also one of the Pre-Malvern issues as I was never 100% convinced the problems were soley fuel pump related.

So Off we go as I have a large sigh of releif that the truck is mobile again. Get home and the blow on the left bank is still apparent getting worse or easing off as the truck negotiates bends etc.

Stuff it I think and go for a well earned kip.

Just come in having been out to investigate and using the old flexy rubber tube to the ear to listen for the source of the blow after checking the obvious areas I pin it down initially to one gasket... try and tighten the bolts within realistic torques but no difference. I re check again with the hose a little more closely now and the bleeding Spark plug was blowing between the metal Nut type area and the ceramic. How odd! Anyway, all sorted again now... funny things these old motors (plags have only done around 800 miles)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

brake n ' plags

What can I say I'm tyred! ;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

hmm. i'll have to check that out too. the car has a mean chuffing noise going on (doesnt show at tickover only under load!) and ive daubed exhaust gloop round every single joint and it made no difference

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Other one in the past was a loose spark plug, always a chuckle that one. They can come loose as the threads being in the block alloy get worn.

Other thing I've had is it could be is an Inward chuffing "chuff" of air being sucked in around the inlet or carb gaskets.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I had a Honda G5 that had plug do that twice (Witshire to Kent on

1.5 cylinders!) - it truned out it was *probably* the rubber insert in my plug socket applying sideways forces on the ceramic of the plug when tightening. Removing said insert from the socket certainly stopped it happening again - but it might have been the change to Champion plugs from NGK.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I done something silly many years ago, I unscrewed a spark plug while the engine was running. It went whizzing past my head and landed 2 houses away. "can I have my spark plug back please"! lol

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard uttered summat worrerz funny about:

:-)

At work one of our lot recovered a stolen motorbike and rode it back to the nick in the days when you could do that kind of thing without the H&S reps doing the wall of death.

Anyway when chummy got it in the back yard we stuck our heads out of the window to take the preverbial as you do.... he couldn't switch it off due to being hot wired so one of the lads advised him to pull the spark plug lead off. I think that was probably the moment break dance was born. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I always use the thin walled sockets that come in the tool kit now since cross threading a plug on my first Rangie such is the design of the heads.

Now I think about it when I had the heads reworked last Winter the plugs went with them and went through the parts wash... maybe some kind of glue was dislodged. I guess I better get another set if only as spares.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I had a plug ceramic core come loose, initially thought some bearings had gone due to the metallic rattle but sooooo releived that it was just a plug. The core was moving in and out in as the piston moved up and down. I still have it i the shed to remind me to check the plugs first when there are metallic rattle probs

Wolfie

Reply to
lifeis

I've seen a few spark plugs blow the ceramic right out of the steel part. It's generally been on race car engines where combustion pressures are higher than normal and the engine running temperatures are probably hotter than average. Whilst a 101 isn't exactly a performance vehicle they probably do have an excess of engine bay heat so that might be the cause.

Reply to
EMB

I've never seen an NGK plug do that - they have always been Champion ones that have fallen apart. Do yourself a favour and buy a decent magnetic spark plug socket - I've never damaged, dropped or broken a spark plug with one.

Reply to
EMB

I've never seen that done, but I've watched someone remove the rocker cover on a Chev V8 to replace a broken rocker, only to have the retainer and valve spring bugger off through the tin roof of the workshop when they were disturbed - we never found where they landed.

Reply to
EMB

I had a Bosch plug in a 7 series BMW last year blow the middle out of a plug, parted company just below the hexagon for the socket. All that was left was the thread in the hole with a bit of steel tubing above it. Right at the back where you can't get at it, good job it wasn't very tight. An easyout did the trick but I didn't think it would. (visions of head removal just for that).

Martin

Reply to
Oily