TD5 ECU interface details

Hi,

I would like to find out where one can find details of the TD5 ECU interface. Does Landrover sell a workshop manual / electrical manual that would contain the details?

Thanks Jan

Reply to
Jan Serfontein

Hi

the Defender TD5 Wiring Manual (Part No YVB101670ENG) contains these details. It is however quite expensive (AU$175), which is why I have not purchased

Good luck

Robert

Reply to
Robert White

You can't find details of how to 'talk' to the ECU fully, you can only get limited information using an industry standard OBD2 connection. Land Rover haven't (and probably won't) release details of the ECU control/communications protocol.

If you want to know what each wire to the ECU does, that's available in the Electrical Circuit Diagrams for the Td5 Defender.

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

"Martin Lewis" wrote

Martin I've got a 2002MY Td5 Defender. I ordered a rev counter (YAE

100800) at my local Land Rover dealer, when they said it would take about half an hour labour to fit. When it arrived, they were unable to fit it.

I understand that the signal is avalable on pin 19, but is very low level. Would you recomend a screened co-ax cable or a low capacitance cable?

The instrument has connectors + - 2. Is the following correct?

  • switched 12 volt

- ground

2 to pin 19.

There is a DIP switch set to:

1 down 2 up 3 down.

Any ideas for these?

Reg

Reply to
Reg

Hello Reg

Having looked up the part number, they've ordered you a Tdi (not Td5) rev counter, which is why it won't work :o( You should have YAE100790 for a non-Heritage edition Td5.

I followed the (very good) instructions at

to fit the revcounter to mine.

You shouldn't need to fit an extra cable (as I did) because the 2002 Td5s bring the signal cable up to the dash anyway.. It's a white and slate coloured cable and *should* be present on pin 14 of the big grey connector behind the instrument panel. If not it is indeed pin 19 of the black ECU connector.

You don't need screened cable, Land Rover themselves just use ordinary 'wire' - and this is all I used and it works fine.

I'll be putting up a more detailed Td5 tachometer installation page on my site soon(ish) - probably the week after next when I get home.

If you need any more info (like how to kick a LR dealer for ordering the wrong bits - I've had to do it with regards a Td5 ECU...) let me know! :o)

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

"Martin Lewis" wrote

unable

This could be why the dial does not have 'Td5' on it.

I'll have a look Martin.

I've already found your site, so look forward to this.

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

Reg.

Reply to
Reg