Things that never make the news...

A EU funded 'focus group' (sic) made a recommendation that the EU introduce legislation to ban vehicle manufacturers from including an ashtray in the design of new cars, as it may encourage drivers to smoke.

They concluded that smoking whilst driving was dangerous, furthermore, it posed a health risk to the driver and potentially, via passive smoking, any passenger(s). They queried whether they (the EU) could later face actions and claims for illness or injury as a consequence of not implementing such a strategy.

Thankfully someone saw sense before this went any further. Sadly the focus group were not summarily executed and are now looking at banning pointed kitchen knives.

This, at the time when the EU say that they intend to simplify legislation and make it more understandable!

Reply to
Mother

I still dread the day when they notice scuba diving knives. Wonderful things if you get snagged up in something but one of our club instructors, who happens to a serving police man, commented as he strapped his onto his leg that he'd seen somebody get several years (I forget how many) for possession of a far smaller item the day before.

Maybe I need one of those nice locked gun-boxes for the P38 to carry all my 'dangerous' scubakit in.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Chrysler made a bit fuss about an ashtray-less car a couple of years ago. The current model has an ashtray. As an aside, working for a car maker I expressed a little surprise that the new car (luxury jobbie) had positioning of teh ashtray as quite such an important design issue (I got involved being a smoker). The reply from the marketing types was that quite a lot of wealthy types enjoy a cigar in he car, though they would swear blind they were non-smokers. Obvioulsy this was US market - Europeans (excluding the Commosioners) are far more tollerant.

Seeing as nitcotine is a stimulant, that's always puzzled me - a smoker is far more alert than a driver who has not had a stimulant (Dr. Magnus Pike got into trouble for pointing this out on the TV).

Perhaps they should view old editions on Blue Peter....... anyone who gets that is showing their age!

The sad thing is that a lot of the *really* silly laws don't come out of the EU - they are home-grown and everyone assumes they are from the EU.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

...but mostly created by dictats from Brussels with our own bureaucrats adding a little spin and gold plating.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Theres some sort of lawful reason clause that would cover that, just as there is for agricultural tools. The "bill", which developed into a weapon that could deal with a man in armour, is also an effective tool for working on hedges. Which means its also good for the environment.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Reply to
Thingy_wotsit

Hope it fairs better than the wifes Touareg!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson) WTB a clean RRC pref 3.9 or LSE 4.2

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to having a couple of screaming kids in the back...

Reply to
Mother

Just turn up the stereo.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

And stick a cigar in each ear.

Lee

Reply to
Thingy_wotsit

In message , Mother writes

A f****** barking dog!!!

Reply to
hugh

The car makers should just fit cars with a drawer with an optional ash tray insert. That would keep everybody happy!

I keep change, fuses, nuts, bolts and crimp terminals (there always seem to be some in there along with a hair grip) in my ash tray and i hate it when i'm trying to get some money out and it gets stuck under the metal grilly bit. a dedicated bits drawer would be much more use.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well my series must be a smoke free zone, cos there is neither ashtray nor cigarette lighter.

Reply to
Larry

My Series _is_ an ashtray...

Reply to
Mother

I blame the nanny state and totally inadequate driving instructors who fail to teach you how to roll a spliff in your lap whilst changing the cassette, finding the toy yer kid has just thrown under the brake pedal and finishing off yer internet order with Tesco...

Mind, avoiding the red hot bit falling into yer lap is equally important. Last time that happened I had to slam the brakes on really hard, causing me to spill my pint over the crossword I'd nearly finished...

Reply to
Mother

On its own ? On the back seat or the roofrack ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

so Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I use the rear tub of mine for a rubbish bin. When i finish my sandwich etc. at the wheel i just chuck the rubbish over my shoulder.

Unfortunatly the habit is so ingrained that I continued to to it when I was driving my little Nova every day. People getting in the back had to trample the rubbish down in order to sit.

Alex

Reply to
Alex