brake fluid testers and bf renewal

Hello,

I see that Sealey and Gunson and others make these brake fluid testers that have three LEDs that light up depending on the condition of your brake fluid. Are they any good or are they just another gimmick to part a fool from his money?

I was reading the Haynes manual (Ford Fiesta) and it recommends changing the brake fluid every few years. I've never done that before. It mentions not letting the reservoir go empty because it would foul up the ABS and would have to be towed to a dealer to put right but it says to add new fluid to the reservoir and stop when you start bleeding new fluid. How can you tell whether old or new fluid is bleeding? Is fresh fluid a different shade?

Are there any other hints or tip about changing fluid and what make of fluid do you recommend to use or avoid?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I've used the gunson one and can't fault it.

Reply to
Stephen

A completely different colour normally. Sort of not dark brown & opaque colour like the old stuff.

Nope, it's completely low tec, just buy whatever's recommended for your car (synthetic DOT4 IIRC). If you don't have someone to help then an easibleed's the simplest solution.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Take it to a garage, pay £30. It's one of those "it's not worthwhile doing it yourself" jobs on anything remotely modern especially with ABS. You should have it done every 2 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs moisture. Water in brake fluid is a bad thing which is why you change it every two years. For the pitiful amount it costs, it's not worth missing it.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks. Does it discolour due to absorbing the moisture over two years then? Is it best to save money and not buy a tester and just get it replaced every two years or should you check it every now and again with a tester? Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

Yes, Haynes said to be careful not to let the reservoir run dry for fear of fouling the ABS. Only £30? I didn't realise garages could be so cheap! ;)

Reply to
Stephen

Brake fluid is cheap, testers are not. Every maker says change the fluid every two or three years, so why not just follow the maker's instructions?

If you are particularly obsessive and live in a very damp place then get a tester.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

30 quid is what a ford main dealer will charge. This might give you an idea of how important it is to get it replaced before something fails, and how easy it is with the right equipment.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

There is, however, the risk of one or more brake nipples shearing off when you do this, requiring a new calipers and/or wheel cylinder.

Reply to
Graz

Never had this problem on a car which has had regular fluid changes. One which hasn't been touched until something goes wrong, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. Poor maintenance causes problems.

Reply to
Adrian

& you're no worse off than if you hadn't done it.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

When buying a used car, who knows how often the fluid's been changed?

Reply to
Graz

Assume that, with lack of evidence to the contrary, like cambelts it hasn't.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. How do you know ANY maintenance has been carried out when buying a used car? It's fairly easy to check visually how old the brake fluid is.

Reply to
Adrian

When you get a car it may have a service book with the info in, but I would always budget to do any service stuff I was not sure had been done. Usually straight away would be an oil change if in doubt and a general check over, cam belt unless I was really sure of its age very soon, brake fluid and antifreeze within a year.

I must admit I am dubious about changing air bags every ten years :) likewise seat belt pretensioners.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well Bosch ahve extended it to 15years anyway :-) It's just not very widely publicised. (Lurking in an Erwin service bulletin I got)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If it has a service history, I'd hope at the maker's recommendation. If no history buyer beware.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Mmm. A dealer history's SO trustworthy...

Reply to
Adrian

Whilst agreeing that most dealers are charlatans, on a reasonably new car it at least sort of proves the mileage. One without *will* have been clocked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)