If a cambelt was a notch out?

What would be the symptoms if a cambelt was fitted with one notch out? I can't say for sure if this is the case but I recently had the Daewoo Lanos 8v belt changed at my local garage and now it seems to be very slightly down on power to previous. It starts, runs & sounds ok as it did before but doesn't seem to have the same response on the throttle which is more noticeable driving up inclines. It's not much but when you drive the same car day in day out you tend to get a feel to how it should respond and notice any small difference. Would one notch out cause a slight drop in power or would that be more noticeable?

Reply to
redwood

It would be odd if it didn't make it have a lumpy idle.

Reply to
gazzafield

Yes, definately.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I once changed a cambelt for a friend, the old cambelt was one tooth retarded on the cam shaft, ign timing was correct. I put the new belt on correctly, there was more power, but the owner complained that the engine now didn't pull from such a LOW speed as before and that he had to change down more often, he also said it wasn't as good on fuel !! So, yes one tooth out on the cam does make a noticeable difference and doesn't (usually) kill it completely. So get it checked, you can do this quickly on some cars using an advancable type strobe.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yes it does feel that it's not pulling as good at low speed in higher gear and needs an earlier change down. I'll get it checked to be sure. Thanks

Reply to
redwood

So it may have been incorrect before the new belt.

Reply to
MrCheerful

What if, although fitted correctly, for some reason the replacement belt length was marginally different to that of the old one?

Reply to
Ivan

As long as it was not too short to actually fit, or too long for the tensioner to function, why would that matter?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It makes no difference to an engine where the marks are on the pulleys/engine, the timing should still be set and remain the same, you could have a belt three feet longer than needed, as long as it when round a suitably positioned tensioner/roller there would be no problem as the wheels would still turn in the same way. UNLESS you have one of those engines where the timing marks are on the belt, then you would have problems.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I checked the timing marks on the pulleys 2 years ago when trying to diagnose another problem (which turned out to be a faulty o2 sensor) and both marks were spot on. I've taken it for a good run and it's definitely lacking mid to top end power. It pulls away in 1st ok but get to mid end range it needs more throttle to build up or maintain speed. For e.g, If travelling along a flat road @ 60mph using half throttle, before if I floored the throttle you could feel the response kick back but now there's very little response and only gradually builds up speed. On a good fast section of road it struggled to maintain 80.

I'll take a look. If I remember last time I think I had to remove the bottom pulley to get at that alignment mark.

Reply to
redwood

That description sounds like it is retarded.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Ok I'm now at the stage where I've removed the splash guard, alternator belt, top cam cover to see that mark but I'll be buggered if I can remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. It's in gear and wheels chocked but I can't get enough leverage as it's like compressing a big spring. I'll see if I can jack it up to make room for a longer bar and get someone stamp on the brakes.

Reply to
redwood

remove the flywheel cover and insert a large screwdriver to lock the ring gear.

MRCHEERFUL

Reply to
MrCheerful

Rain stopped play for today so will have another look tomorrow. If the ring gear is hard to access I was wondering if a cheap impact wrench would work, something like this

perhaps wedge an extension bar against something solid and disablethe ignition and very briefly spin the starter.

Reply to
redwood

Or perhaps wedge an extension bar against something solid and disable> the ignition and very briefly spin the starter.>

From experience I do not think a battery wrench will do it (I have a snap on one) an air wrench and compressor will, and would probably be cheaper !! The bar against the chassis and blip the starter is fine, but you still need to jam the riinggear to retighten.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I changed my belt a couple of months ago, and was shocked to see how worn it was - it must have been at least half a tooth, maybe 1 tooth out, as the belt was so slack. Before I did it, the engine would sometimes die at traffic lights, and be a bit erratic at low revs, once it had been changed it was fine all the time, it does seem to respond better to the throttle, and I am getting around 3mpg more, though that is calculated via the in-car comp, so may not be totally accurate over a month or so. There is certainly a difference, if you do notice a difference, there may well be a problem with yours. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee