Laguna rattle

Hi,

I've recently bought a 97 Laguna 2.0 Auto, and discovered it has a strange rattle/knocking. It seems to come from the front drivers side and is only present when the car is cold, maybe for the first couple of miles. After that it doesn't make a peep.

It also only rattles when the car is hits a bump in the road. It only does it when the car is in drive. If I coast when the car is cold it doesn't do it, and if I come off the throttle it doesn't seem to do it.

I took it to a garage and they kept it all day before driving it (cold) and said it did'nt happen for them (sods law!). They didn't put it on a ramp but he said he checked the CV joints by driving on full lock forwards and backwards. He said the automatic gearbox seemed fine.

I jacked the car up and couldn't find anything other than a small knock when trying to rotate the wheels, which were locked by the gearbox. This though seemed like free play being taken up (they only rotated maybe 1-2cm). I'm still worried it's a gearbox issue as it stops when I coast out of gear. Surely a normal rattle would be there all the time?! Even with the rattle the car drives fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Nick

Reply to
Nick