OT: Remote control for Car Stereo

I'm about to go out to the 75 and rip out the OEM stereo unit.

Unfortunately, 1980s Italian ergonomics mean that the hole is right at the bottom of the centre console, behind the gear lever :-(

The unit going in is my Sony MP30 which currently resides in my dead

33..... this unit has an optional remote control - does anyone know the sort of range of these things? - do I have to point the remote directly at the unit, or are they better than that?

Suppose I now need to find someone in Milton Keynes that sells the Sony control stalk things now......

Reply to
SteveH

There's a UK www news group that deals with ICE matters. Try posting there for advice and cheaper prices for parts. I bought a brand new remote for my ICE for £15 from a privte seller. It was barnd new.... RRP £69.99.....

Reply to
biscuit

In article , SteveH writes

I had a Sony single CD player, dating back a few years though, mind you. If they haven't changed the standard, then it's pretty straightforward to make your own wired remote using buttons of your choice and a few resistors.

The whole thing works via a stereo jack plug: Normally the 'ground' to 'tip' is left open circuit by the remote, but each of the buttons applies a set resistance between these two pins. I was lucky enough to have an original remote to play with and was able to work out the resistance values from there. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the resistances, and I no longer have the remote.

There was one other button or 'collar' on the remote that shorted the 'ground' to the 'centre' band on the stereo jack. Of the top of my head, I can't remember what it did.

Reply to
David Thornber