Over reving Micra

Wife's Micra revs too fast when cold. Ok when hot. Any ideas? It is a 1995 model 1.0 litre.

Reply to
John

Maybe a faulty choke or a hole in an air hose.

Reply to
dp

Roughly how fast when cold? Have a clean up of the throttle linkage, stepper motor rod with carb cleaner, and then lightly re-oil to start with.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Tim,

Just to deviate slightly from the Micra - my Zetec 1.6 (1998) does the same. It revs to around 2000rpm (used to only be 1500) and makes a slight "click click" noise around the 1800rpm mark as it approaches 2000.

Same suggestions?

Ta,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Usual problem is the idle-speed control-valve getting sticky with age. You can remove the valve and try to clean it using carb-cleaner but it doesn't usually solve the problem long- term.

Reply to
PJML

Would I find this little guy lurking around the throttle body per chance? Is the clicking noise the valve trying to due its duty?

I'd rather replace the valve if it's causing the problem rather than just try and clean it - is this a simple enough job for a novice DIY machanic?

Ta,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Right on both counts: the ISCV is bolted to the throttle-body and serves as an electronically controlled "bypass" round the throttle butterfly itself. The valve is pulsed by the engine management system, the ratio of "on" to "off" time gives control of airflow.

You should be able to remove and replace the ISCV relatively easily if you've got the right size spanners. The electrical connection just unclips.

Reply to
PJML