Gents...I am out. Gone to the darkside.

Just got a new job that requires a commute and my 5 speed S2 was just not the type of car for that task. It is with her new owner in Portland, Oregon....

...I am the proud owner of a 325is BMW now. Let me state for the record...sorry BMW guys, but, the BMW is definitely a quality step down from a Porsche.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Jetson

Thanks, and you can bet on it. The BMW is comfy and has all of the right amenities for a morning commute, but the fun factor is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there from the S2.

Reply to
Devils944S2

needed a 4 dr for pizza delivery?

Reply to
robrjt

No, needed a 4 door to pimp out your mother and wife. they turn an average of 2 extra tricks a night when they can get out of the doors directly.

Reply to
Devils944S2

For those of you that are interested...I have been chosen to develop training programs for a major manufacturer located up here in Seattle. My programs will encompass both the U.S. and Canada.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Congrats! So you are going to teach your co workers how to count the correct change in both currencies when they pimp out your sisters?

Reply to
robrjt

Thank you for your originality. Please let me know the next time you want me to think for you again.

Reply to
Devils944S2

I don't know about the fun factor discrepancy...I think I'll politely disagree.

We have an '87 924S and a 2002 325i wagon and my husband and I play "rock paper scissors" for who gets to drive when we go out but we have a hard time choosing which one we want to drive. Yes, they are different rides but both are VERY fun. Of course we then have to decide who's the designated driver--that can create a little cognitive dissonance--he who gets to imbibe doesn't get to drive home.

ie Austin

PS...they're both standards, of course.

Reply to
ie

Well...let me give some details and maybe you can see my point.

The S2 was a Cabriolet. The BMW is a sedan.

The S2 had 211HP and 209lb/ft of torque. The BMW has 190HP.

The S2 was a 5 speed and the BMW is an automatic.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new car, but, it is much more "tame" than the S2. I had to drive the S2, the BMW glides along with very little input from me. I would agree that they are different types of fun, but I love a pure raw sports car over the sports sedan. What it came down to was a 35 mile commute in Seattle traffic.

Reply to
Devils944S2

In alt.autos.porsche Devils944S2 wrote: : Just got a new job that requires a commute and my 5 speed S2 was just not : the type of car for that task. It is with her new owner in Portland, : Oregon....

: ...I am the proud owner of a 325is BMW now. Let me state for the : record...sorry BMW guys, but, the BMW is definitely a quality step down from : a Porsche.

I put 19k miles on my 944 in 2002 and 15k on most years commuting... and thats here in Chicago... where it snows... when they forcast snow I usually drive my van, but a day or 2 after that, i'm back in the 944 because once the roads are plowed, it's not bad... first year I drove the 944 in all weather and discovered it did't make a good plow....

It makes a fun commuter car... but you have to maintain it... (mines in right now for t-belt adjust and oil change).

Not bad mileage either for mixed city/highway commute...

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Reply to
Devils944S2

In alt.autos.porsche Devils944S2 wrote: : John, we are talking about an S2 Cab vs. a regular 944. There is a world of : difference between the two. I have no doubt the S2 would have done great in : the commute, but, day in and day out of Seattle traffic (which ranked in the : top 5 of worst places to commute, ahead of Chicago and NY) would have taken : it's toll on me. Also on the upside, I usually had to take my son out in my : wife's Explorer, now he can ride with me.

I dunno... according to the below article... my commute on the Ike is #2

best Seattle has to offer is #9... and you don't get snow... we haveporta-potties on some of the highways so folks can get out and go when theyare stuck in traffic... There have been years where folks run out of gasthe delays are so long when we get 11 or 12 inches of snow... I think it wasDecember, 2000 we got 31 inches of snow in a 15 day timeperiod... (that waswhen I remmeber the guy in front of me flagging me to go around because heran out of gas). That was the longest I couldn't drive it because the rutswere too deep... the spoiler was constantly in the snow...
says Chicago is #6 andSeattle isn't on the top 10 list... AAA motor club says
Chicago's Ike #2 in the U.S. ... Seattle #9

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

> says Chicago's Ike #2 in the U.S. ... Seattle #9>

Reply to
ie

> says Chicago's Ike #2 in the U.S. ... Seattle #9 Although those are nice, the most authoritative study is the one done by Texas A&M, which has shown Seattle in the top 5 for many years:
Interesting how cnn has competing articles!

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

In alt.autos.porsche Floyd Rogers wrote: : "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" wrote :> In alt.autos.porsche Devils944S2 wrote: :> I dunno... according to the below article... my commute on the Ike is #2 :>

The best Seattle has to offer is #9... and you don't get snow...:> ... :>
says Chicago is #6 and:> Seattle isn't on the top 10 list...:>

:> AAA motor club says :>

:> says Chicago's Ike #2 in the U.S. ... Seattle #9 : Although those are nice, the most authoritative study is the one done by : Texas A&M, which has shown Seattle in the top 5 for many years: :
: Interesting how cnn has competing articles!

The years are different... the story your quoting is older...

The AAA article I quoted is 2005... not from 3 years ago...

"AAA Cites Some Of Nations Worst Commuter Hot Spots

Washington, D.C. - 2/14/2005 "

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" wrote

Different methodology. If you can find 5 years of AAA or other articles, fine. You *CAN* find 5 years of the A&M articles, and Seattle is consistentently in the top 10. Things just don't go from 4th to off the top-10 in one year.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

In alt.autos.porsche Floyd Rogers wrote: : "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" wrote :> : Although those are nice, the most authoritative study is the one done :> by :> : Texas A&M, which has shown Seattle in the top 5 for many years: :> :

:> : Interesting how cnn has competing articles! :>

:> The years are different... the story your quoting is older... :>

:> The AAA article I quoted is 2005... not from 3 years ago... :>

:> "AAA Cites Some Of Nations Worst Commuter Hot Spots

: Different methodology. If you can find 5 years of AAA or other articles, : fine. You *CAN* find 5 years of the A&M articles, and Seattle : is consistentently in the top 10. Things just don't go from 4th : to off the top-10 in one year.

Can *YOU* show me a 2005 article that says the Seattle metropolitan area with a population of 3.8 million has as much traffic as Chicago areas 9.2 million?

Just within the city limits of Chicago is 1% of the entire U.S. population, Seattle has less than 600k people...

Density 4923/km
Density 2638/km Nearly double the density and unfortunately... everyone has a car :-(

And... it's supposed to snow tonite... (it was still freezing rain as I drove my 944 home)

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

See, that's one thing wrong with your believing those articles. I *CANNOT* show you a 2005 study, because, guess what, 2005 isn't over, and peer-reviewed scientifically-valid studies (like the Texas A&M one) aren't cherry-picked over a portion of a year, a particular area, etc., and take a year or more to be prepared and peer-reviewed.

I have driven in Chicago, and agree that it's traffic is nasty. At least some of the people are, too, IME. But we have nasty traffic and people, too. A higher percentage on the roads, possibly, as we have *proportionally* less mass transit, so the yahoos with junkers and a bad attitude are on the roads rather than on the L.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Congratulations on the new job and the new commuter car! The 944S2 is a great drivers car and the BMW also has good qualities.

Mike

Reply to
Mike