2003 Echo - Clock installation quest.

Hi, I am installing a digital in a 2003 echo. The problem is that I can't locate the plug that goes into the back of the clock. I've tried looking and feeling through all of the under dash harnesses I could get to, but was still unable to find it. I called the dealer and they said there is a plug, but I didn't ask the location.

Can anyone tell me where it [the plug] is?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
dethrai

Did the car have a clock? If not, then you have to pull the block-out where the clock would have been installed, and the connector will be right behind it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I thought all Echoes had digital clocks. Weird.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Nope, bought it new and it didn't have the clock installed.

I talked to someone else who said that the plug is taped to the harness, I just can't find where.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
dethrai

Look (and feel) way back behind where the clock is, and find that big black snake wrapped in black tape and corrugated loom tubing - the Main Dashboard Wiring Harness is going to be somewhere north of 1" in diameter, I've seen some over two inches. When you get into the EFI wiring to the engine, you need a LOT of wires.

Then look for a smaller wrapped wire branching out of the big bundle that's coiled up with a little plastic 5 to 8 wire multi-pin connector attached. If the car was offered with a clock as a factory option, it's back there somewhere. Check where the radio harness comes out, it might branch from the same point. Might be several inches off to one side, or hiding around the back side of the main harness.

The clock needs at least 5 wires. +12V constant, +12V switched accessory, chassis ground, and the two dashboard illumination + and - connections for dimming the display at night.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You mean to say you know Toyota actually makes some junkers on occasion just like every other manufacture? I'm shocked

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Nobody is shocked when FORD makes a junker. LOL

Reply to
Philip

Update.. the "junker" now has a functional clock. Just FYI, I went to the dealer and the shop foreman searched for the plug to no avail. He ended up calling Toyota and found out there are two different wiring harness one with, and one without the plug. He said it was the first one he had seen, and it is an Echo that wasn't offered with the clock option. So I guess I have an "econo" version of the Echo, or maybe there's one lower that has milk crates for seats....hehe.

Overall though, it has been a trouble free car and probably will be for a long time.

Anyways, i just got a plug from the wrecking yard and tapped into the electrical from the stereo harness. All is good.

Thanks again, Chris

Reply to
dethrai

Jesus...read what Hachi told you...look at the dash "where the clock would have been installed"...remove the 'blanking plate', find the clock plug behind it...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

  1. Good for you! That's what I would have done had I not found the harness!
  2. It DIDN'T have the clock wiring???!!! Interesting. Back in the day, if you bought a Toyota without a clock, that's what you got: a Toyota without a clock! If you went to a "parts recycler", then all you had to do was what I suggested...remve the plat, attach the harness that was there, and install the clock! Just that simple. It seemed that is was easier to build
1 harness and leave out the actuall accessory, than to make separate harnesses.

I did notice, on my '95 Tercel, that the knockout was not there for the clutch. Previously on Toys, all the firewalls had the knockout for the clutch master cylinder on the firewall with a rubber plug where it would have been. Not so on my Tercel. There was no place to install a clutch.

Interesting...

Reply to
Hachiroku

oh and lol @ Gord Beaman. you sound pretty put out man, remove your foot slowly as to not scrape your toes on your teeth.

Reply to
dethrai

Welcome "dethrai". Gord mounts his Huffy Bike every time he can.

"LOL -@- Gord"

I luv it!

Reply to
Philip