Anti-Seize is only $2.99 a tube...

a tube will probably allow you to disassemble and reassemble your entire car, oh, 4 or 5 times.

If you plan on selling your car when you're done with it, buy some and USE it!

Took me 45 minutes to loosen the torque plate on ONE brake just now!

Reply to
hachiroku

I know it'll sound like heresy around here, but this sounds like an manufacturing problem.

Reply to
FanJet

Nah, whoever did the brakes the last time didn't use anything on the threads. Most people don't.

Reply to
hachiroku

In a way it is because they put them together dry when the make them and they can rust. I have been used a bit of moly grease on brake hardware for years and I never have any problem taking them a apart later one.

Reply to
SnoMan

That's exactly what and how it frequently happens (always if the first time around) BUT you'll never see it mentioned here. Well, except from you and I.

Reply to
FanJet

Hey! I thought I already mentioned it!

I usually use whatever is on hand (Moly, the Red stuff, wheel grease, Lithium, but I try to have a tube of anti-seize handy. Comes from when I did the brakes once, and then 6 months later the caliper started leaking and had to pry the whole damn thing apart again. Someone said, why not use anit-seize? (I had never heard of it before, since prior to that I always paid someone else to do these things for me...)

Reply to
hachiroku

Hey Hach,

Don't use lithium or any other lube that isn't specifically made for high temperature applications on brakes or anything that gets hot. If you use lithium on caliper slides, the stuff can liquefy and drip out.

I buy the anti-seize in a silver plastic jar (probably what they use in the shop). For DIY use, it will last for years and years.

Reply to
Ray O

No, the lithium I don't use on high temp stuff. BUT I found it VERY Interesting in the Toyota Service and Repair Manual in the section on brakes: for installing the calipers, grease the slides with a Lithium Soap based lubricant. Hmmmm... I used anti-seize...

I must have 3 tubes of it around here SOMEWHERE!

Reply to
hachiroku

I always keep the basic chemicals handy: Anti-Seize; Lock-tite; wheel bearing grease; lithium grease - tub & aerosol; silicone spray; dielectric grease; brake cleaner; carb cleaner; WD-40; aerosol Lock-Ease; and Simple Green.

Reply to
Ray O