OT-translation please ! US to UK

Just so I can keep up with the postings here, I got a couple of questions about terminoligy.

What exactly is REDNECK ? What Specificly when compared to SHAG ! >

others that come to mind

Yankee ? Mineral spirit ? Cost of a US gallon of Gas (petrol) ? ours is close to 4UKP per UK gallon (approx 7.5 USD )

oh .. Jan .. teh ?

any others ?

Just trying to make myself at home ! :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Rich,

Can't speak to all but........

For REDNECK. Normally a term to label those of us in the south especially that enjoy the simpler things in life. Rednecks are sterotyped as being lazy, ignorant and not possesing the best of manners. However, if you are traveling in the south and have car trouble, rest assured one of our finest rednecks will most definatly be happy to render any assistance he (or she) can and will accept little to nothing in return. I am a redneck and proud of it!

See also Jeff Foxworthy for a complete definition.

Yankee is the opposit of redneck.

I paid $2.15 per gallon for 87oct but I saw it in Atlanta today for $1.99

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

SHUSH you. Pffft.

Jan :D

Reply to
Jan Andersson

is one "translator"

Use your browser "Find" function to search.

pokes fun at the way "some" US southerners talk. (May be incomprehensible in UK) Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

A few answers inline below.

Depends on who you ask and how the term is said. I think when most people picture a "redneck" they think of someone who lives in a crappy home (often on wheels) and wears work boots, jeans, flannel shirts (with the sleeves cut off in the summer), and baseball caps. Usually chews tobacco and drinks cheap beer and listens to country music and has a loud mouth and is pretty stupid.

I'm not gonna try to *directly* help you make up your mind about that.

People from "up north." Virginia and points further north. When you're in "The South", calling someone a "yankee" is usually not a compliment. Depends on how it's said and who is saying it and what was said just beforehand. Just to confuse you, some people consider North Carolina more "Southern" than South Carolina.

About $2.25/gallon here (North Carolina) right now.

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

Kinda what I thought for redneck , didnt know it was so regional. What is the norths word for a redneck ?

Rich

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
tricky

fun site - first US word was BUG - insect !

Rich

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Again - to us (UK) yank / yankee means american. Didnt know about the north bit.

I do like Norm tho (new yankee workshop - this old house :-) )

Shag wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Hee Hee - just kidding !

Rich

Jan Anderss>>oh .. Jan .. teh ?

Reply to
tricky

See - if you dont ask you only think you know !

I hate the bit about the petrol / gas price though ;-(

Rich

tricky wrote:

Reply to
tricky

See "pauly Shore is dead"...the movie. There's a character that's supposed to be his number 1 fan...............the epitome of a redneck. ( I am not recommending the movie as a *must see*, It's pretty bad )

Anyone who moves to Texas from up north,.......Boston, Nwe York,.......Even Oklahoma.

Normally turpentine type stuff,..................just a mild solvent that is commonly used to clean things off without making a mess or damaging the part it's being cleaned from.

What day of what week would you be asking about? the price in my area fluctuates wildly at times and can be like posted by another,.........$2.29 today,..........$2.01 tommorrow

Yeah Jan,..........What He said!

Well,.............If you refer to Third Grade, as "My Senior Year." ........you just might be a redneck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

since when did Virginia up and *move* to the "north"?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

You can have rednecks up north. visit central PA or upstate NY for examples.

nate

(part Yankee Redneck myself.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Theres rednecks all over. But rednecks usually refer to northerners as yankees when the two words are used with a common meaning.

Then theres the d@*# yankee. That's a northerner that moves to the south and keeps talking about how good it was up north, but won't go home.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

Swamp yankees.

Reply to
remco

Gasoline - you have imperial gallons, maybe? If I remember correctly about

125% of a U.S. gallon. Price here just started dropping - down to $2.43 at the Safeway discount for regular. 2.65 for premium. -BaH
Reply to
Busahaulic

Redneck. A person from the Southern United States, from one of the lower social strata. So called because in days gone by, they would work out in the sun all day, so the back of their neck would become quite red, hence the term.

Charles of Kankakee Former D***Yankee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Chuck,.........Where in Tarnation dijya come up with that shinola?

What you described was a " pesqueso rojo ".

Yeah,.... It's a common mistake to make. Butcha cain't be fillin' them furriners heads with misinfurmashun. It just won't do.

We'll leave a light on fer ya.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

REDNECK - basicly someone who is prejudice. As others have said usually refers to a poor southerner. Yankee - someone who lives above the Mason-Dixson line (or was born there). That's the line that divided the north from the south during the civil war. A LOT of folks have no idea where that line was, though. For instance, most folks think Maryland is a northern state (not so). Mineral spirit(s) - (gotta add the "s"). As someone else siad it's a solvent like turpentine; usually used for cleaning greasy parts.

Reply to
ThaDriver

REDNECK - basicly someone who is prejudice. As others have said usually refers to a poor southerner. Yankee - someone who lives above the Mason-Dixson line (or was born there). That's the line that divided the north from the south during the civil war. A LOT of folks have no idea where that line was, though. For instance, most folks think Maryland is a northern state (not so). Mineral spirit(s) - (gotta add the "s"). As someone else siad it's a solvent like turpentine; usually used for cleaning greasy parts. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver