300C

From an article by Aaron Robinson, dated February 2004, found at Car ad Driver.com dated April 15, 2004, page one:

"Although not announced yet, the base sticker prices for the four-seat coupe and convertible should be close to 2004 pricing, says Ford: about $18,000 for a V-6 coupe to about $28,000 for a V-8 convertible. There will be a five-speed stick shift or a five-speed automatic available with both engines."

continuing on page two, quoting Ford?s new car czar, Phil Martens, group vice-president of product creation:

Martens calls the V-8 GT ?the most accessible 300 horsepower on the market.? By accessible, he means cheap, at least compared with the 305-hp Mach 1, which runs $29,590. For 2005, the base GT will feature almost the same power for about $25,000."

You will notice that says "about $25,000" for the 2005 "base GT". That is $6,000 MORE than your supposed statement by Billy Ford that a fully-loaded GT will be $19,000.

Reply to
RPhillips47

Cadillac did it by sliding a pin out of the rocker arms that basically removed the fulcrum point so that the rocker no longer opened the valve, but just "rode" up on the pushrod. I don't know exactly how the Hemi does it, but my guess would be a variant of that method, probably combining with the VTEC method of using oil pressure to do the work of moving the appropriate pin in and out of place, rather than the trouble-prone solenoid method that Cadillac used back in the 80s.

Or it could be completely different- my point was that there are (generally) as many or even more points in a pushrod system where you could effect the disconnect than there are in an OHC system.

Reply to
Steve

According to some information I've been able to dig up:

"It's accomplished by applying oil pressure to a locking mechanism in the lifter. When we do that, we decouple the motion between the cam and the valve, shutting off the valves. Whenever the customer presses on the accelerator, we send a signal to the engine, reactivating the valves and the cylinders will turn back on."

- MX

Reply to
MowerX

Sounds pretty elegant. Should be able to work in 1 turn of the cam (2 turns of the crank). No one's going to notice that...

Reply to
Steve

he made the statement on nbc news in january from the detroit auto show can you trac that down

RPhillips47 wrote:

Reply to
mic canic

I believe the statement you are referring to is this:

Ford said the Mustang ?will remain the best performance car for under $20,000 and the most affordable 300-horsepower car made today.?

That statement actually applies to the two different vehicles. With the new V-6, the base Mustang will be the best performance car for under $20,000. Likewise the V-8 GT will be the most affordable 300-horsepower car made today.

Classic automobile double-talk.

Reply to
RPhillips47

The E-Class that has just 'outgone' I gather.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

As the owner of a 99 300M I'd say it still hasn't become 'old'. But I do wonder how long the new 300 will stand out.... On the other hand, it's tough to get more car for the money.

Reply to
John Treffers

The 300 is not replacing three cars it is replacing one with two other cars replacing the other two, The Magnum, and most likely the Charger (which may have a different name when it comes out next year)

Reply to
Bob Sacamano