ping: Nate .. old baja pics

Actually Miles, he said $5 a DAY, not per hour. I will agree with you that the Mexican economy has improved much in the past years but much like here, most of the money goes to the few and the rest have to scrape to get by. If conditions are as good as you say, there simply would not be the number of people trying to get here from there.

Reply to
TBone

Oh really??? Go look it up and post the definition.

How would you know, do you live there? the number of people giving up everything to come here say's different.

I hate to burst your bubble Miles, you keep killing your own arguments. First you say that money there goes further, then you say that just about everything but housing cost the same as it does here. How exactly then does money go further then???? You say that the Mexican worker makes the same there as here and then say that companies there have significant savings in operating costs including labor. How exactly does that work??? I could go further but since all you will do is spin it, there is no point.

Reply to
TBone

So you are saying that the average Mexican is making 15 to 20 dollars a day???

Reply to
TBone

You're correct. My typo. But point still stands. Mexicans on average are paid many times over $5/day.

You have no comprehension of what part of the Mexican society is coming here. None at all. It is NOT an overall mix of people. They are much of the part that Mexico does not want and why the Mexican Gov. encourages them to come to the USA. We get their problems that they do not want.

Reply to
miles

"Developing Nation". Has nothing to do with being poor and everything to do with the style of social, political, and economic cultures.

Yes I have. Have you?

Reply to
miles

That is the average and not the median income. Housing costs about 90% less than in the USA except in areas close to our borders. Theres also considerable free housing available in many cities especially southern Mexico.

Reply to
miles

LOL, not by definition and with what you say the current minimum wage is and even what many are making, the definition is correct andf you are wrong, imagine that.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, if I were to eliminate your housing costs, could you live on 15 to 20 dollars a day. Even if the median income were double that (and I doubt that), could you feed and cloth a family of 8 for that? I used that number because you made that claim about 6 kids with the new truck. How about a more realistic family of 4??? As for that free housing, I doubt that it is very livable or there would be no reason for so many Mexicans to try and come here.

Reply to
TBone

Your point is complete crap. Even $20 dollars a day is nothing compared to even minimum wage here in the US. Like I said, and you wonder why they flood our borders.

More crap that you cannot possibly back up. Many of the Mexicans that I know and deal with are very hard working people. Sure, we get some of the scum comming across as well but that doesn't make it the majority.

Reply to
TBone

$5 an hour would be pretty good money for a lot of jobs here, Miles... The Min. wage is about $5 a DAY, but most folks, as in the States, make more than that..

Most builders now are paying about $120 a week (5 1/2 days) for labor, up to $200 if it's skilled labor like windows, doors, tile, etc.. I'd say the building trades and retailers are at the top of the food chain right now..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You have to consider cost of living, T... Say a guy is making $65 a day in Ca, as opposed to $20 a day in Mexico... He could rent a 1 bedroom apt. here for about $150 a month... I just don't see that happening in Ca... Food and clothing are probably about the same, if he lived in a cheap area of Ca..

Of course, with no green card and probably not speaking any English, he's not going to have a prayer in hell of making min. wage in the states..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

this is laughable miles. you consider the mexican government _credible_?

...i think ill put my trust in those who live and work there. the "average joe"....or "average pedro" would know a lot more about living conditions for the average pedro than would the corrupt government.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

coming from one quoting mexican government statistics thats laughable miles.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

i did. thats really neat. what is that type of housing called and how is it constructed?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

corrupt government??? Oh, you meant the U.S... I get it now..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Not sure what you mean by "Type of housing"? If you mean the style, I'd guess something like "Southwest" but I really don't know.. They just ask that it have a "Mexican" flow to it.. We pretty much told the builder that we wanted 2 bedrooms and baths, a shop and as few walls as possible.. His 2nd floorplan was right on and we told him to go for it.. The great room is about 30 feet long with no walls dividing what would be kitchen/living/dining rooms in the states.. Lots of open space and windows, lots of French doors, front and back verandas, etc..

The foundation is concrete slab poured on packed red dirt... The exterior walls are stuff made up of cement and styrofoam, known as "durawall", Performa wall" and "Newdura"... Sort of like building out of block, except the material is much lighter and better insulating.. Also, it comes in a lot longer strips, so it foes up faster..

The roof is cement poured over a form braced on concrete beams on 24" centers.. I can't remember if it's 4, 6, or 8" thick.. The inside ceilings are 6" of foam, which is plastered and painted..

The windows and patio doors are double pane and tinted..

That's about all I can remember, Nate..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I think that you also need to consider the cost of living there Mac. People are not going to work for less than they need to survive, at least not for long. If the cost of living is high as it is in CA, then they will make more because the employers simply will not be able to get workers for less. Now the illegals will work for less than many of the legals and just about any American, but they still need to make enough to survive. They are also used to much lower standards of living than most Americans so having 6 or more workers sharing a 1 bedroom apartment is no big deal for them as they have electricity, running water, an indoor bathroom, heat and AC, and some securitry. The extra money can be sent back home to their families.

And the rent would also be much lower if he lived in a low income area. I'm not going to get into a big argument with you on this or claim to have more knowledge on the subject as unlike you, I don't live there. But by listening to you, I can say that many don't have the highest standard of living for whatever reason and they are comming here and in large numbers and giving up their home for a reason.

That's not really true either. Employers are going to pay what they must to get the workers to work. As Miles said, many of the illegals in AZ have driven the price of day labor to $15 an hour amd more. That is more than a little bit above minimum wage. Even illegals are not going to work for less than they need to survive.

Reply to
TBone

I do like that roof. It looks like a nice place to hang out in the evenings and in the morning before the sun cranks up with some interesting views.

Reply to
TBone

isnt the mexican government more blatent about letting you buy your way out of anything? i dont know the extent of their involvement in sending mexican troops into the US to smuggle drugs (engaging our border patrol in the process) but theyve done nothing to acknowledge the problem and seemingly nothing to end it.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

like "ranch house", "victorian house", etc. if i wanted to build a house just like yours i wouldnt know what to begin to ask for.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier