Best Rated threads in Ford Explorer Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Looking for directions to service front hubs (1994 4x4)
Hello everyone, It has been determined that my front left hub is not engaging, so I'm not getting power to the front wheels in 4 wheel drive. Quick check - since my front axle is not a limited-slip...
2
2

Restore color to Exterior black trim?
Is it possible to restore the black color to exterior trim after it begins to become chalky and gray?
8
8

Help with 94 4.0 liter "valve clatter" and "ignition misfire/exhaust popping" noise fix
Hey everyone, My 1994 Limited has an interesting problem/problems. 1) It sounds like there is noise in the valvetrain, cylinder 4 (drivers side, closest to radiator). A "metallic clatter" sound can be...
6
6

Coolant Leak/Hissing
Drove home and heard hissing sound from engine. Opened up the hood and saw white steam coming out from where engine cover is. Also there was a pretty big coolant leak. Next day turned on engine, no...

97 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 cracked header
I have a 97 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 that has a cracked exhaust header. Does anyone out there know of anyone who makes an aftermarket header for this. I looked into the Ford Motorsports headers, but...
1
1

HELP PLEASE Code 332 and Code 558
'94 Explorer 4.0 180k Miles. I've been fighting low mileage (15-16 highway now, 20-21 three months ago)and Code 332 (EGR valve opening not detected) problems for a while now and they are driving me...

Outside Temp Sensor Location
Hi, I have a 1996 Explorer AWD V-8, and the outside temp gauge is starting to give erratic readings this summer. Sometimes it reads ICE and -40ºF when it is actually over +80ºF. Not sure what the...
1
1

Can't Read Message Center When Sun is Bright, 2002
I have a 2002 Eddie Baur Explorer with the fancy message center. When the sun is bright (and my pupils in my eyes are little dots), the message center is too dark to read. When it is overcast or dark,...
1
1

can I use 98 explorer factory amp for subwoofer?need wiring guide for amp.
I am replacing my ford premium radio with a blaupunkt radio ,I know i need to bypass amp but was wondering rather than leaving amp idle maybe there is a wiring option to power a sub ?and does anyone...

My dealer put wrong oil type on my V6 SOHC explorer?? HELP please
Hi everyone, I just had my 1998 explorer serviced and noticed on the bill that they've been putting this new 5W20 oil instead of the recommended 5W30. I checked TSB 01-4-7 & 02-1-9, and the 1998...

Repairing Rot in Rocker Panel / Dog Leg Area (the typical spots)
Anyone have any tips, hints or gone through this repair...I'd like to get some input on what parts you ended up replacing, parts suppliers to stay away from etc...
4
4

Intake manifold leak in 1994 Explorer
I just came back from an Mobil station where they told me that they saw my manifold leaking coolant when they were changing my oil. When put under pressure, there was a pretty substantial leak of...
3
3

94 Explorer w/ ecc codes 176 AND 177. Advise??
am posting a follow-up to the above thread. I have found a solution to my problem and feel others may benefit from knowing what i found out. After ruling out most other possibilities, I finally...

Re: O2 Sensors
Hey there guys. I did not realize how many sensors were on a vehicle. After reading all your responses, I have to re-check and locate any sensors I may have missed. I replaced one oxygen sensor this...
1
1

Explorer Door lock problem
The lock on my 96 Explorer won't work with the key. The electric locks work fine. I was thinking of removing the door panel and monkeying around with it. Has anyone done this and if so, what should I...
2
2

2002 vibration (long)
November 2003, I dropped of my 2002 4.6L XLT at the dealer for an oil change. I mentioned a howling from the rear end on deceleration between 110kmh and 100kmh. The mechanic diagnosed the noise as...
2
2

'96 Explorer heater blend door broken?
The temperature adjustment seemed to stop working correctly on our '96 Explorer. Seemed to be blowing all cold for my wife, regardless of temp setting (engine was plenty warmed up). I played with it...
6
6

defroster smell
2000 Explorer I have a moldy smell when I first turn on my defrosters in the morning. I bought a spray that is supposed to kill the mold. It says to spray it in to the fresh air intake> Can anybody...
7
7

Transmission Problems
I HAVE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS WITH MY TRANSMISSION. IT IS AN AUTOMATIC 1998 FORD EXPLORER AND IT IS ALMOST LIKE IT COMES OUT OF GEAR WHILE SWITCHING BETWEEN FIRST AND SECOND AND SECOND TO THIRD

stock stereo specifications?
For the stock stereo/CD unit on a 2000 Explorer: What is the output power per channel? What is the configuration of the head unit and power amp(s)? Is it 2 seperate units (i.e. Can you intercept a...
1
1