Cheaper Herculiner substitute??

Hi all- I have an '82 F-100 longbed, and wondering if I can just scrub the bed down with some 3M sanding pads, primer, and then roll some paint and then a polyester coating on top of everything. It has a medium amount of rust, but nothing that goes all the way through (glad I live in GA now). Indoor/outdoor carpeting is being considered, but paint seems a better idea... this is a GREAT newsgroup, and THANKS!! :+) Paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net own: 1972 VW Beetle (runs sometimes) 1982 Ford F-100 (not running) 2000 Focus (a running POS)

Reply to
pmbedard

Herculiner is a cheaper version of having a bedliner sprayed in. Regular paint will not last. If you're going to take all the effort to do a good prep job (you are, right?) just bite the bullet and roll-on the herculiner.

I/O carpeting would be a disaster unless a) you plan on keeping a cap on the bed and 2) never using it for carrying anything messy. If the carpeting gets wet it would trap the moisture against the bed and rot out what's left of your steel in short order.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Personally, I would see about getting the bed bead blasted and primed before I would have a spray on bedliner put in aftermarket. That would remove any residual moisture and rust.

herculiner.

Reply to
John Riggs

Me too. It's worth the extra time and $$ to do it right. Once.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.