location of engine oil leak, port (left) side of engine block, below the head

Hello atf,

This oil leak location is vexing me. I have a '96 F-150 I-6. On parking the vechicle I get about 100 drips of engine oil. Last September I changed out the oil pan gasket. Right now I can't localize the location of the oil leak.

Only the left side (looking foward) of the block has oil coating. Nothing is leaking out of the tailpipe. The inside of the exhaust pipe is pristine. And I do not see any oil coating or leaking on the right side of the block. The oil drips down off the saddle shaped cross member that spans between the motor mounts and is ahead of the deep draw portion of the oil pan sump. The pan is rusty, and I could believe a hole in the pan would provide a leak. Furthermore, the gasket is damp with oil and this is the case *after* I changed out the old, cracked oil pan gasket, which I thought was the source of the oil leakage.

I could guess that the oil leak is from the front and rear main seals. But this engine has 90K miles. The oil leak started rather suddenly; I noticed it this past July and it has stayed the same or gotton a bit worse. As I have mentioned, I changed out the oil pan gasket this past September. However, I can't believe my guess that the main crank seal is leaking because I have oil dampness on the entire left side of the block, front to back and up to the elevation of the head gasket but not above the head gasket. The motor mount on the left side shows dampness from the oil. One more thing, a bit over a year ago I changed out the oil plug and o-ring gasket as that was a source of some leakage, and things were fine from that point until this past June-July.

Right now my oil consumption from the leak is about a quart on every third gas fill up. Before this leak started I had about 1/2 quart to add every 3 thousand miles, ie every oil change.

One more thing. The side of the engine block that has complete oil dampness has a long rectangular cover that is attatched to the engine block. What is under this cover? Push-rods? I could guess that this is the problem, but the dampness from the oil is both above, ahead, below, and aft of this narrow-long rectangular cover.

Given how quickly the oil drops off and pools under the engine after parking, 100 drips/15 minutes then it stops dripping, this suggests to me that I have a leak from the pressure side of the oil system. I could guess the oil pressure sender, but the dampness is extensive in area. The oil pan gasket is not on the pressure side of the oil system; or am I wrong? What about a plugged PCV? I don't know where the PCV is located, on top of the valve cover? Again, I don't have any oil dampness from the head gasket on up topside.

Finally, a loose oil filter. No. It is tight. And I change the filter every 3000 miles on the oil change. And the oil dampness is above and in front of the oil filter, but the dampness is on the same side of the engine block as the filter. And the other side of the engine block shows no oil dampness.

Boy, I purchased this 1996 F-150 with 40K miles four plus years ago thinking I was getting something sturdy and a good runner. (Very soon the clutch slave cyl. had to be changed out! Arrgh!) And now this oil leakage problem. But it is not piston blow by. No blue smoke. No sooty exhaust pipe.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob Mohr

Reply to
robmohr

Did you check the bolts that fasten the oil filter mounting bracket to the block? They may be a bit loose and after the oil filter drops its pressure, it would stop dripping.

Just a thought Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Reply to
pkurtz2

i had the same problem on my 94 4.9 300 6cyl. it turned out to be the lifter plate gasket on the drivers side of the motor. its a long plate that is approx 3" tall by 16" long. was a cheap fix and she dont leak anymore. BTW, my "Ol" betsy has 464,000 on her and she don't burn any oil, has original exhaust, water pump, still runs like a top! I hope this helps you locate the problem...

Reply to
BattleGodz

Funny, all the years I've been working on and buying and selling parts for engines, the passenger side has always been the right side of the vehicle and the engine, and the drivers side has always been the left side of both...

"Install windage tray. Make sure that the built in scraper is on the right (passenger) side of the crankshaft."

Passenger side under dash Engine compartment, right Driver side under dash Engine compartment, left

351CJ

Reply to
tom

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:32:15 -0600, pkurtz2 rearranged some electrons to form:

No, it's as if you were sitting in the driver's seat.

If you don't know your left hand from your right hand, you can just say Driver side or Passenger side (unless you're in the UK).

Reply to
David M

Yes, I am thinking this is the source of the leak.

This truck has A/C, which I never use, and the compressor is up front. Question, do I need to remove this item, or anything else, to get at the lifter cover, to remove it and to replace the gasket?

Rob Mohr

Reply to
robmohr

Don't know about it being in the way, but if you break any seals on your air conditioning system you will lose all of your Refrigerant (R12/FREON-R134a/HFC-134a) That can be costly, and is illegal. The U.S. EPA, classifies both groups as Class 1, Ozone Depleting Substances (ODSs).

Reply to
351CJ