1999 pontiac grand prix se rear speakers, a question!!

Hello Group

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Se. The driver's side rear speaker is totally dead. To check this out I disconnected the plugs from both rear speakers and ran a jumper from the right side leads to the driver's side and nothing happened. I then reversed the test and ran jumpers to the right side speaker from the driver's side wires and got good sound. Now the problem.

HOW DO I GET THE SPEAKER OUT OF THERE???????????????? I see the points of two screws from inside the trunk holding the unit in, but no where on the speaker cover can I see the heads of these screws. There is a little access hatch on the speaker cover which when opened leads to a small hole with a pice of heavy insulation underneath, but NO screw heads. I don't want to break the thing off of there and be forced to buy both the speaker and it's cover.

So, any help and suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Darrylbar

Reply to
Darrylbar

The speakers come out from the inside, you have to remove the trim panel underneath the rear window to get at them. To do this, it appears the rear seat cushions have to come out and the quarter upper trim has to come off, on one side at least. Yeah, I know, it's kind of a pain in the ass..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Hello Robert

Tell me your kidding!!!!!!!!!! What kind of brilliant mind designed those %$#@*& speakers to be taken out like that. The rear seat cushions have to come out!!!!!!!!! So before I make the big decision (dealer or me) just how much will a dealer service dept. charge me for this (ballpark)???

Thanks

Darrylbar

Reply to
Darrylbar

You should be happy it's just the back seat, in my GP the entire front dash has to come out to replace the speakers. Luckily the back ones can be reached by laying down inside the trunk.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

My guess would be an hour or two of labor - they should be able to tell you how much it will be if they're on flat-rate..

Reply to
Robert Hancock