Carter BBD again (or still)

Looking for some basic info on my Carter BBD.

If I disconnect the plug in the back, is this essentially disconnecting the computer? Should I be able to get it to idle smoothly like that?

It won't idle. I tried cleaning the idle tubes, but it still almost dies, then surges to 1500RPM, then repeats the process.

What should I be seeing when I look down the throat when idling? It is presently dripping. This sounds like the symptom of clogged idle tubes, but I can't seem to get them any more unclogged. I poked wire into the bottom, until it got to the top. There is a 90 degree bend in the path, so I can't get the wire out the other end. I can easily blow through the tubes.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Steve Foley

The surging suggests a dead charcoal canister.

To test it, trace the PCV line to the rear of the carb. There you will find a solenoid ot better a T fitting with a line going to the top of the charcoal canister way down under the brake master.

At idle pinch this PCV line to the canister closed. If the idle mellows out like I bet it will, the canister purge valve is shot. There is no fix, you need a new canister.

This also should have some oil spitting into the air filter likely...

Mike

Steve Foley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike,

Plugging the tube seems to help.

Is there somewhere I can get a parts manual for this thing?

Where is a good place for parts?

Reply to
Steve Foley

Hey Stupid, try searching Google first!!!!

Reply to
Steve Foley

you really should be more nice to yourself!! I often take myself out to dinner and get all hot and romantic after....ok...I think I've said enough.

Reply to
SB

I think I'll buy myself a drink.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Steve Foley did pass the time by typing:

Heck, I'd send you a beer but last time I tried that the little drink holder broke.

Reply to
DougW

The Haynes manual for the CJ is the best one I have seen for the 258 and associated parts and systems. It is better than the YJ book if you have the 258.

You 'can' still take the computer out of the system and make it purr manually, but that gas tank vent (charcoal canister) needs to be repaired no matter what.

Here is a l>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Charcoal canister is only a part of the problem.

I disconnected the charcoal canister, and the problem improved slightly. I adjusted the mixture, and the Jeep runs smoother than it ever did.

Apparently, my computer is dead, or at least not functioning.

I had a Jeep dealer working in it two years ago, and he told me the stepper motor was good, just not moving.

I went to look at

and at DaleBecketts primer at off-road.com. At least now I know what I'm looking at.Checked the water coolant sensor and the sensor in the air cleaner, and bothappear to be working. Opening/closing the connections make no difference. It passed emissions two years running just like it is now (no computer, but idles smoothly) so I guess I'll have another try.

I'll post the results.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Very likely a dead O2 sensor.

Those engines and the Carter BBD run really clean when tuned as far as emissions goes.

Mike

Steve Foley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Memories are returning........

The O2 sensor was replaced. This didn't help.

There is a circuit board next to the battery that he told me was dead. He also said no replacements were available. This board has 5 diodes and 2 resistors in it. I replaced the resistors, but could not decode the original values, so guessed at the ohms.

Some history.

Many years ago, I had the engine replaced. The meatball I paid to finish ran some ires too close to the exhaust manifold. While driving down the highway, something shorted out and 22 wires became one. Among other things, this caused the starter to engage. This is not a good thing to do to the starter or flywheel when you're going 70.

I had the wires replaced, and everything seemed fine. Looks like there may still be some nagging problems.

difference.

disconnecting

Reply to
Steve Foley

On those kind of cases, I recommend you go back to the basics and just keep her manually tuned up nice.

To try and sort out someone else's 'new' wiring after a burn is almost impossible if something doesn't work.

Mike

Steve Foley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Those 2 aren't resistors, they're fuses. 1 amp if I remember correctly.

Reply to
bllsht

That would make sense. The melt down blew the fuses, and the computer hasn't worked since.

BTW, I got an inspection sticker yesterday morning. It seems there are problems with the emissions testing systems here in Massachusetts. Until they get it figured out, they're only doing emissions testings on 1996 and newer vehicles.

The Jeep's running fine new. Charcoal canister line is plugged, and I adjusted the mixture manually.

"Steve

Reply to
Steve Foley