Doing the Rubicon in a *stock* XJ

A friend with a 98 TJ wants to go, but he has 4-6 inches of lift, 33+ inch tires, lockers front and rear, and skids :/

Are the bypasses doable in a stock XJ, or would I still need skid plates (at the very least)??

(95 XJ, 4.0, Auto, part time, 29" tires, no tow hooks up front - receiver hitch hook for the rear)

TIA

noneofyourbusiness

Yes, some pull trailers through, and according to Dieter, even the Libby can make it:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

it:

There are many published reports of stock jeeps making it through but not really easily.

Reply to
nrs

Two wheel drive Studebakers made the trip back in 1920:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

1920:
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comhttp://www.billhughes.com/>

Cool! They came stock with tall tires and buggy springs.

Reply to
nrs

Yup, leaf springs just like the Real Jeeps use. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

In the 1.5ish years I've owned it, I've had it off road 4 or 5 times.

2 of those were TDS Safaris out by the Salton sea. Gorman / Hidden Valley is LOTS closer and just as fun (IMHO) ;-)

AFAIK, it IS a class three hitch, but I'm really only basing that ASSumption on the size of the receptical...

noneofyourbusiness