Oil prices got you down?

2005 2nd quarter profits:

Exxon-Mobil: $7.64 billion, 32% increase. The retail fuel sales portion of the profit was $764 million in 2004. Same period 2005 increased to $2.2 billion, or about a 65% increase.

Royal Dutch Shell: $5.24 billion, 34% increase.

Full article at

Is there any wonder oil companies are reaping record profits with W in office?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
tim bur

down ashphalt

tim bur

yes u are burning the same 20 gallons a week but if gas was say a buc a gallon it would be no big deal to wait till the end of the week to get gas, think bac to when it was. but people now have a mind set they will save cash by topping off their tanks knowing that prices are going to rise, and because of this mindset, they are now buying 5 gallons more a week topping off the tank instead of waiting to get fuel when the tank gets low so damand goes up big time it's a simple case of supply and demand. think this is bull shit remember princess di's beenie babies when she died they were upwards of 500 buc's if you could find them now they are a dime a dozen a friend of mind who works for a oil company tell me that sweet crude is no lomger used to make gas and the refiners now use sour crude and it's the price of that oil per barrel thats even higher something like 75.00 bucs a barrel he's say it will hit 100.00 by the end of summer then it's going to drop big time. i hope hes right

Lee Ayrt> Please explain: If I'm burning 20 gal/week, how does buying 20 gallons

down ashphalt

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

Tim,

Look at what you're saying. They're all over. Bill may be ful of crap but at least he can spel and use gramer, and this is a writen comunicashuns medium. so far, it looks to me as if Bill wins, you looz in the credibilility departmint. we has a serious problum in america, and it dusnt rilly hav much to do with petrolium

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yeah, dead weight that feels sorry for everyone else and blames this country for all the world's problems. They love self-inflicted punisment...

If you want to blame someone for the current state of oil, blame the consumers in this country. Since everyone sees fit to buy foreign made goods, thinking there are no repercussions, more and more goods are now made in China, allowing them to be more prosperous and afford gasoline driven transportation, causing a dramatic rise in damand and higher oil prices as a result due to their huge population.

Here's the solution: buy American built products. The US is 1/3 the entire world market for consumer goods. We are roughly equivlent to the entire European Trade Union in size. We're the largest single-country market for consumer goods. Yet, more and more we buy foreign made products. If we no longer bought foreign made products, there would be less of it produced there, and those countries would be less prosperous, decreasing their buying power and the number of oil burning transportation units in use. When there is a demand for more domestically built product, there will both be more jobs in this country and a larger supply of jobs vs. a rather static demand for them means more pay. More pay means you can easily afford the gasoline, and with less demand around the world, assuming constant OPEC production, that means lower prices for it.

And, let me point out that not all Ford, GM, or DC cars are built in the US. You have to be a concious consumer.

I'm not for putting up barriers to trade. If we still had the trade barriers that existed in the late '70's, we'd still be driving the same poorly built vehicles with yesterday's tech and built-in factory defects. Competition improves the breed. I just advocate that you buy American by choice.

Reply to
Ruel Smith

No, they just think that you shouldn't fix stuff that isn't broken. Liberals seem to invision some Utopia, thinking that making policy changes to strive for such a society won't have any negative effects. However, with just about every change, there is both positve and negative effects. Their supposed visionary thinking just screws the world up.

Reply to
Ruel Smith

Ruel Smith did pass the time by typing:

"Con-gress, the opposite of Pro-gress." "Anyone who says crime doesn't pay never met a politician."

You don't vote for the best person, you vote for the least dangerous.

Reply to
DougW

Good point, but lots of stuff is broken, with people saying it isn't.

I think you're wrong about liberals. They don't think, that policy changes won't have any negative effects. They just don't give a damn. I have learned to be suspicious of liberals too, especially when they want to play with my money.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have given up on politicians making things better, I have always voted as an Independent. I vote for the man I think is going to screw thing up the least.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Sonny, I was buying gas when it cost a tad more than three bits a gallon

-- the taxes on a gallon of gas is more than that now. "No Gas" signs are a personal memory.

If I'm burning 20 gallons a week I'm burning 20 gallons a week. The demand is the same, no matter how large or small the purchase lot is.

tim bur wrote:

gallon it would be

was. but people

that prices are

more a week topping

goes up big time

princess di's

them now they are

lomger used to

per barrel thats

the end of summer

down ashphalt

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

It depends. If you've got a _lot_ of mousefarts it adds up. A quick google search suggests that there's about 240 million vehicles in the USofA, they burn 5.8 billion gallons of gasoline a week. 2% of 5.8 billion is a rather sizable mousefart.

Will H> You're talking about measuring mouse farts in a hurricane.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

in about a 10

to each new