POLL: Transmissions - Wranglers

"Gordon" wrote

: > 4) Would you change it if you could? : >

: Auto with manual shift override : >

Have not heard of that except in old VWs....

: >

: > 6) Would you buy the same thing again if you had it to do over again? : : Yes, for the price i paid and the fun it brings.

That's the spirit! Thanks Gordon :)

Reply to
KJ.Kate

LOL... you lucky sumunagun.

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Exactly!

I generally prefer a stick, but there's no shame in using an automatic, /especially/ if you need to...

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Thanks Garth I don't much like being a gimp, and the whole Jeep thing is so I can get out and enjoy the things I want to.

Hell, it's not forever. If It heals up - and I hate the auto - in a few years, maybe I could trade it off LOL

Kate

: > It's not so much what they THINK as what works. : : Exactly! : : > But in a roundabout way, you have a point. : > I tried this morning, I cannot do a clutch for more than a stroke or two : > until my hind leg heals up : > So I suppose an auto is where I will have to go. : : I generally prefer a stick, but there's no shame in using an automatic, : /especially/ if you need to... : : : -- : ~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S : { }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Yes. 04 TJ Unlimited auto (wifey's), '00 TJ manual (mine).

The 04 is definitly easier to drive, but I prefer the manual from a fun-to-drive standpoint. When I am lazy I drive her Jeep. Off-road the manual lets you start & stop in gear, compression braking on downhills, etc. Of course with the auto you wouldn't have to care what gear you are in, but we haven't taken the Unlimited out on really tough trails yet so I can't speak to that based on personal experience.

The Unlimited's throttle seemed overly sensitive, coupled with the automatic, everytime it went over a bump your foot would bounce on the pedal and gun the engine. One day I had had enough and went to see if I could change the spring on the throttle body, as it did take less effort to move the pedal compared to my TJ. I had both hoods up, and compared them...turns out the Unlimited was missing it's throttle retaining spring. Picked one up at a dealer and problem solved.

Besides that, we changed out the tires..the prevous owner had put on Mickey Thompsons Baja Radials, which absolutely SUCKED in snow and ice. We put on BFG All Terrains.

Probably, One of the reasons why I didn't want the auto on my TJ was it only had that 3 speed auto. In '02 the TJ's got the 4-speed overdrive, so it helps a bit with mileage.

As I've often told my wife, she is incredibly HOT when she drives a Jeep. Which is the primary reason for getting her one...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

For using fog lights in other than fog. Just because they are fog lights that does not limit them to fog only. When the high beams are on the beam is directed mostly upward, leaving very little light shining down. When I am on a trail or unfamiliar roads at night I want to see what is coming up on the ground as well. Light it all up. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

actually, I know where to look stuff up and I keep a file of useful posts. Other folks here know (actually know that is) more than I, lol.

for carrying more stuff. I have a family of 4 which leaves little room for stuff besides what I can fit in the way back or on the rack hanging on the spare tire. But then again, that is what the Sienna is for,..,,. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

BETTER TIRES! I Installed a set of Michelin LTX's right after

I have put these on my 2002 TJ as well and I believe for a Jeep that is mostly roaded it is the way to go (mine are the X Radial LT sold in BJ's Costco]). Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

That's what I have driving lights for. The pattern a fog light puts out does very little to nothing to aid distance vision even when you tilt them up to blind oncoming drivers. I guess that's why I have a CJ.

Reply to
Rich

"Matt Macchiarolo" wrote : As I've often told my wife, she is incredibly HOT when she drives a Jeep. : Which is the primary reason for getting her one... :

THIS is probably why she loves ya Matt.... because you are a sugar tongued devil.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Kate,

My wife's hip replacement is less than a year old, and already she is driving the FJ-40. Now that is a vehicle with a decent clutch return spring in it.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Our local streets are always stop and go, more stop then go. That's why I got mine with an automatic, prevents "clutch-foot".

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Oh yeah, the Michelin's are great light truck tires. The X-radials are great for rain; the LTX series are better for snow and mud. Both ride great on pavement. Neither are worth tish for serious off-roading though. The X-radials are also quieter, softer and offer better mileage.

I ended up getting $160 off a set of 4 at Costco - sweet! Replaced the spare too; I couldn't see getting a flat in BFE and putting that Goodyear-thing on with the LTX's; the ride would be a hair-raising and trouser-wetting experience.

Reply to
JD Adams

Auto Rubi here. Yes, I would buy the auto again.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Ditto

Reply to
mabar

The fog lights are excellent for lighting up the sides of the road and especially good when on dark trails. When on dark forest roads, I want all the light I can get.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Hi Kate:

Why would you think you would hate the auto? Although the auto is not as "sporty" as a stick, it has many advantages. Because of the slippage in the torque converter, it gives you a very low crawl ratio. Where a stick might stall out, the auto will just barely crawl the vehicle.

Having said that, the stick has the advantage of more compression braking descending steep hills, but the auto still has a LOT of compression braking.

I like my auto.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

So Kate, what are you shopping for. Another Libby or a Wrangler?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

They you are VERY narrow minded.

I'm not saying an auto is better than a stick or visa versa. I'm just saying that you need to realize that there are LOTS of reasons folks like an auto, and there are LOTS of reasons folks like a stick.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Hmmm...that's very interesting, Matt.

My '06 Rubi has a much more sensitive throttle than my '02 Wrangler, and it is harder to control when going slowly over bumps, etc. Maybe I should also check for a missing spring. Exactly what and where should I look.

I just took a look and there is a large coiled spring, but is there a second spring that might be missing. Just what spring was actually missing on yours?

Tom

them...turns

Reply to
mabar