POLL: Transmissions - Wranglers

and rather nicely as well.

Reply to
Tomes

That is a good price for that large a tire. Cool. On the spare thing, if these ever wear out one of them will become my spare. I did not bring myself to spend that money for the tire that does nothing.

Reply to
Tomes

Hate to disappoint you Bill, it's for the cruise control LOL

*ducking*

: > Two!

Reply to
Kate

Been a while since I looked at my Fords throttle bodies but I seriously doubt with modern electronically-controlled transmissions there is any need for a kickdown cable.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

'04 Unlimited

Auto.

Not having to futz with the stick in city traffic (Cincinnati).

1) Not having complete gear choice 2) Overdrive is WAY too aggressive (kicks in too soon)

Change the "O/D off" to "O/D on" button, or at least make the durn thing not be a toggle that resets on each restart.

Gas mileage, but that's probably my fault.

Probably.

Ken

Reply to
Ken S.

I ended up doing just that, Kate. Can't see spending $100 bucks for a tire that just *sits there* looking pretty. Also found out that OEM spare tire covers can successfully be thrown into the washer without killing them! They get pretty funky after a while if you don't.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Cincinnati can be a big pain in the knee if you have a manual transmission between all the hills and having a stop sign every 127 feet.

Reply to
billy ray
40 ain't sh**. I can't even REMEMBER when I was 40. I still run 4 miles every day, pound the ground in a Semi 6-days a week, and when playtime comes, gulp down several frosty pints of Amber Ale while grinding on my old Gibson SG and GA-5 tube amp for the neighbor's enjoyment. Weekends are even more out of hand.

Life is good! Hell, getting laid isn't even a problem these days. I don't want much: I just want more. 40-something is a great place to be!

The tough part is trying to figure out where I want to be in 25 years. Old rockers look looney, and I want to still be able to chase (and catch) women. I can run fast, so the odds are good...but the goods are odd. But old dudes always look cool in Jeeps!

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

In Cleveland it seems like they are every 50 feet.

The northeast Ohio area has the most backward traffic controls of any area of the country I have ever driven in. Tons of unnecessary traffic lights and stop signs, and many/most of the lights are still not synchronized or activated.

On top of that, some cities have ridiculously low speed limits, probably for generating traffic ticket revenue.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

We only have them at 50 foot intervals on the upslope of hills (which is

79.2% Cincinnati roadways) the downslopes (19.8%) have no stop signs. The remaining 1% is flat land and is limited by statute not to exceed 27 consecutive feet.

Cincinnati's unique geography is the locale that inspired the parental admonition " I had to walk 12 miles, up hill, in the snow, each way, with my brother on my back, to get to a one room school house."

My children accepted this (with some reservations) until one day when my teen daughter asked...... "Isn't Grandma & Grandpa's house across the street from the school?"

Caught in an apparent exaggeration of my difficult upbringing I quickly added...... "Due to desegration they had to bus us into the next county to begin the 12 mile hike."

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Convert the older Cherokees to controlled second gear:

and:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yeah, but A Coruña is at least as hilly as Cincinnati, and all the cabs there are standard shift. If we were paying over a Euro a liter for gasoline, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Nope. Here's my Superduty v10: 2 cables, one to cruise control unit, one to accelerator pedal.

No kickdown lever or vacuum module. No reference to kickdown lever or cable, or vacuum module in FSM. Newfangled computer-controlled electronic transmissions use the TPS to determine kickdown.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That's the product of 5 winters' worth of Michigan salted roads...you should see the undercarriage. I'm not looking forward to changing the shocks. It's pretty dirty too, I need to do my annual engine washdown. I took the stupid plastic cover off the throttle body for that pic and saw how much dirt it collected underneath, it's not going back on.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think it would be kinda cool if they really were see-through....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Guys, there are indeed two throttle return springs on all TJs.

The first is the obvious spring that you can see between the bracket and throttle linkage. That is actually the backup spring.

The primary throttle return springr that you aren't seeing is on the throttle body itself. It's a heavy clockspring behind the linkage that is a little harder to find.

Jerry

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Guys, there are indeed two throttle return springs on all TJs.

The first is the obvious spring that you can see between the bracket and throttle linkage. That is actually the backup spring.

The primary throttle return spring that you aren't seeing is on the throttle body itself. It's a heavy clockspring behind the linkage that is a little harder to find.

Jerry

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford