POLL: Transmissions - Wranglers

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hmm... I went out this morning and looked under the hood of my loaner, it doesn't have one either.

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That could be. My '00 manual had the spring, but the '04 TJL did not. I assume the 3-speed (999) tranny did have the kickdown cable, but when they introduced the 4-speed electronic overdrive auto, there was no need for it since it probably uses the TPS signal for kickdown. The kickdown cable probably dampened the sproingyness of the throttle body spring.

Anyway, I have heard from others that the throttle is bouncy with the auto. This will fix that problem. If you get a spring at the hardware store, make sure it's the same rate.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I assumed it was an oversight that the spring was omitted on mine, but sounds like they just don't put them on now so they can save a buck a vehicle. It's harder to control off road when your foot bounces on the pedal. Were those '06's autos or manuals?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Does it seem like it takes very little effort to press the gas pedal?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Yes, my throttle is harder to control on bouncy trails at slow speeds. I didn't check those on the lot today for stick or auto, but mine is an '06 Rubi, auto, and no spring.

Do you happen to know the part number of that spring?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Nope but I bet if you print out that picture it will be easy for them to look it up on their parts diagram software.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

LMAO! You were just checking to see if we were paying attention, weren't you! Thanks, now I know what you were talking about.

You need to tell whoever owns that jeep that he should fix that

LOL

: > Ya know what I want? A dead pedal. : > hubs says he will put one in for me right away. : >

: > I miss that left foot brace. : >

: > I'm having trouble seeing what you are referring to in the photo , could you : > 'splain it to me? : >

: > Thanks. : >

: > Kate : >

: > : > Is this your Jeep Bill?

Reply to
Kate

For a measley five bucks, why not get it at the dealership? That's what I would do.

: >> Here's a pic of the spring that was missing on the TJL... : >>

: >>

: >> Sorry don't have the part # but it was about 5 bucks at the dealer. : >

: > Interesting. That tab and mounting plate is used with the auto : > tranny kickdown cable. Must be the throttle body needs a bit more : > sproing for standard transmissions. : >

: > That part you can get at a hardware store, probably just have to bend a : > hook in the end. Or maby a few rubberbands. :) : >

: > -- : > DougW : >

: :

Reply to
Kate

The 06 I am looking at is an auto.

: > Thanks for the photo. I will be at the Jeep dealer soon ordering that : > spring. : >

: > Tom : >

: >> Here's a pic of the spring that was missing on the TJL... : >>

: >>

: >> Sorry don't have the part # but it was about 5 bucks at the dealer. : >>

: >> > There is a coil spring on the throttle body wrapped around the : >> > butterfly : >> > valve shaft, between the throttle cable lever and the throttle body. : > There : >> > should be a second retainer spring clipped to the throttle body lever, : >> > with the other end hooked onto the bracket that secures the end of the : >> > throttle cable housing. It was this second spring that was missing. : >> >

: >> > Send me a good email address and I'll shoot you a pic. : >> >

: >> > mlmacchiarolo at comcast dot net : >> >

: >> >> My '06 Rubi has a much more sensitive throttle than my '02 Wrangler, : > and : >> >> it : >> >> is harder to control when going slowly over bumps, etc. Maybe I should : >> >> also : >> >> check for a missing spring. Exactly what and where should I look. : >> >>

: >> >> I just took a look and there is a large coiled spring, but is there a : >> >> second : >> >> spring that might be missing. Just what spring was actually missing on : >> >> yours? : >> >>

: >> >> Tom : >> >>

: >> >>

: >> >>> The Unlimited's throttle seemed overly sensitive, coupled with the : >> >>> automatic, everytime it went over a bump your foot would bounce on : >> >>> the : >> >> pedal : >> >>> and gun the engine. One day I had had enough and went to see if I : > could : >> >>> change the spring on the throttle body, as it did take less effort to : >> >>> move : >> >>> the pedal compared to my TJ. I had both hoods up, and compared : >> >> them...turns : >> >>> out the Unlimited was missing it's throttle retaining spring. Picked : > one : >> >> up : >> >>> at a dealer and problem solved. : >> >>>

: >> >>

: >> >>

: >> >

: >> >

: >>

: >>

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Yea, only took about 15-30 seconds to digest it and make a choice. I loved lifting and it kept me in decent shape (round is a shape!) even if it did take up most of my free time. However, as long as I keep up on the meds and dont do really stupid things very often all is ok. I manage, as in pain management, that is. The knees, back, neck, shoulders, they are all wearing out now from the abuse and damage over the years.

Evil sock boy is right! Still a kid at heart - I dont FEEL this old! Always a punker of sorts too. =: )

Dont you wish! LOL. I wouldnt be caught dead in a skirt like that... hell, I wouldnt put it on alive either. Lets see...the last time I wore a skirt or dress... was ... well ... it was ... oh hell, I cant recall when it was. Its been over 15 years at least. Last time I dressed really fancy, well, that was only a few years ago, but both black and silk are always in style...

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Already printed.

Thanks

Reply to
mabar

4-0 is getting close. I still feel like I'm 18. I have to remind myself I'm not.

I'm not cutting my hair. I've still got it and if I can make some bald guy jealous, well...

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

: > Evil sock boy is right! Still a kid at heart - I dont FEEL this old! Always a : > punker of sorts too. =: ) : : 4-0 is getting close. I still feel like I'm 18. I have to remind myself I'm not. : : I'm not cutting my hair. I've still got it and if I can make some bald guy jealous, well...

Uhhhhh Scott.... Pony tails on 40ish guys does NOT make bald guys jealous. It looks BAD! Like a mullet... BAD!!!! Like a comb-over REALLY BAD!!!

I'm married to a bald guy, let me tell you something about them... the reason they go bald is a high testosterone level.

Need I say more?

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Two!

: > Hmm... : > I went out this morning and looked under the hood of my loaner, it doesn't : > have one either.

Reply to
Kate

Now I am going to have to go hike my fat ass back up in there...

*sigh* just a minute

*pant pant*

Yes too easy

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

One's the pedal cable, one's the cruise control cable.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III