? Power feed for overhead console? '98 XJ

I am being given a new (Gentex) rear-view mirror with compass and outside temp displays. It will use the existing mirror-mount. My question: Do all XJs' wiring included a feed to where an optional overhead console would attach? That is, I'm hoping to be able to locate and adapt any existing wires near the mirror head.

Thanks in advance for your info. This group is great.

Jim Grand Rapids, MI '98 XJ

Reply to
Jjsegr

Jjsegr did pass the time by typing:

Dunno about the XJ, but the ZJ did. I haven't found a vehicle yet that didn't share a basic harness between models.

That being said, watch for dimmed power lines (dash lamp fed). Put a volt meter on the power lines and vary the dash illumination.

If you need to run your own power I've found that thin speaker wire makes a great power lead. You can run ground and power in one throw or run power and dash illumination then use a chassis ground. Don't forget fuses for any power run.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks, Doug.

I received the part kit today and it came complete with wiring harnesses, instructions, and leads for the temp sensor. So, if I must, I can just run the wires all the way. I just thought that it might be more sanitary to use existing wires, if they're there.

By the way, my source has access to more (auto-dim, outside temp, compass) mirror kits, in case anyone is interested, e-mail me and I can give you his e-mail. I'm not into this for any profit, myself.

Jim

Reply to
Jjsegr

I installed the mirror, this evening. Thanks for the replies. It works fine.

Reply to
Jjsegr