TJ rim backspacing

I was checking my rims and tires while they were off my jeep and I got to thinking that I've read somewhere that rims for TJ's were supposed to have

3.5 inches of backspacing. I have 33x12.50's on 15x10" Aluminum rims. If I remember right the backspacing on those is 4 inches. I recently had to replace my ball joints at 55000 miles. I got the rims/tires at around 35000 miles. Is there a specific backspacing or offset for rims and tires this size? I'm wanting to keep the tires but get rid of the rims so if I need a new set that are different I could use the info when I order them. Thanks in advance!

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Troy, the TJ's wheels have 5.5" of backspacing. Someone told me one particular wheel used on the TJ has 5.25" but so far as I know, they're all 5.5".

Jerry

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Troy,

3 1/2" or 3 3/4" backspacing on 15x8 rims will work great for 33x12.5 tires. Regards,

Guri Sandhu

98TJ, former CJ3
Reply to
sandhug

Weird, sent a post but didn't see it...

In case it didn't make it, I got some 15x8" rims with 4" of backspacing, replacing my 15x10's with 4 inches of backspacing also... guess it doesn't make much of a difference on the inside of the tire but the outside now tucks a bit more under my fender flares than the 10 inch wide ones... makes the tire look skinnier but rounded.

Maybe my last post didn't go through 'cuz I sent a pic of how far out the tires stick with these rims. If anyone wants to know how far it sticks out I can send the pic, or at least figure out how to use my isp's server space to show it.

Troy

Reply to
Troy