Advice on front output bearing on Defender transfer box

Have tracked down vibration on my 1988 110 as the output bearing in the transfer box for the front propshaft (have checked the flange nut and it is tight, and there is definite up/down play). Anyone know if you can replace the bearing without having to remove the whole box ? Anyone point me at an exploded diagram ?

Ta, Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Undo the nut in the centre and pull off the drive flange then lever the seal out with a biggish screwdriver or similar. If you look inside you will see a large circlip holding the bearing in the case. With appropriate circlip pliers remove it and then you can pull out the short shaft with the bearing both together. You may have to clean the inside of the case to allow the bearing an easy passage but if you've got access to a slide hammer with an adaptor to fit the shaft it will make the job so much easier. You can also replace the flange and nut loosely to pull on as well, I think that's all I've done in the past. It's an easy job. You will need a new seal as well as the bearing

Martin

Reply to
Oily

down vibration on my 1988 110 as the output bearing in

Thats great news Martin, it looked like it might be possible from the tiny exploded diagram in the LR workshop manual, but I thought there may be a hidden downside as it is not listed as something you can do with the box in place. So I thought maybe something could drop inside the housing, but even then I was thinking it might be possible to remove the diff housing.

I'll go down the LR agents and ask them to print off a parts diagram - I like a picture to work with. The LR workshop manual doesn't have a clear picture of this area, and Haynes just duck out completely. They say gearboxes are complicated - take it to the garage !

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve