Bearing rumble on Series III

Wouldn't have been cheaper to just replace the bearings?

On a Rangie I just rest the diff on my chest, wriggle about a bit until I think it's in about the right place, and just hoik it in (Ooh er missus).

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

Not sure it should make any difference - wheel diameter will but not spring height. Even with 205/16s on it's not that bad a job.

I lay on my back with my chest just under the diff and my legs out of the front or back of the vehicle. To remove you slide the diff backwards supporting it from each side and lower it down onto your chest. You then roll it to the left or right, whichever you are most comfortable with, and onto the floor.

Refitting is a bit more difficult as you have to locate it but it's effectively just the reverse of the above.

In both cases you only have to lift the diff a few inches and you have a habd each side to take the weight.

Oh, try not tod drop it when doing this 'cos that can sting slightly :0(

Obviously if you are big boned and can't fit under the axle, even with 7-

50x16s fitted then you'll have to find your own technique !

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Years ago I made a bracket to fit on my trolley jack to support the diff head (it attaches by one bolt thru the drive flange). It makes the whole removal/replacement thing much easier - to the stage that my 10 year old son can get a Landy diff out on his own (he's decided that he is the official "fixer" of grandad's Series II).

Reply to
EMB