Chain saws.

A bit, I ran a woodmizer for a friend while he was away in Nigeria making a mint on seismic surveys.

For a few small butts I'd run them into a sawmill with a bandsaw and have them contract sawn. The small portable bandmills probably cost over GBP300/day and it's hard work getting a worthwhile throughput.

Have a look to see if the woodlots advertising service still functions near you.

Punters tended to be optimistic about what they where going to use their sawn wood for and I'll bet there's a lot of planked wood slowly rotting away in some back gardens. Truth be known I still have some nice yew boards which would have been worth a lot more as round timber exported for veneer and I know Ill not make anything with them.

Sycamore needs converting very soon after felling, the loose sawdust must be brushed off the boards and they season better stacked vertically rather than conventionally stickered.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

Seems to be just SE.

Thanks for the tip.

These things will just about fit under my 12" bandsaw, maybe a 3 TPI skip tooth might do 'em ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

We would take the first slab freehand with a chainsaw, sometimes top and bottom, to get it under the head.

Can you increase the set? Use a small wooden wedge to keep the cut open behind the blade. Wood has tensions in it, think of it as growing by adding successive condoms over the previous years growth.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I'll need to make a fitment for the (electric) chainsaw, but on small logs that should work OK shouldn't it ?

Using a handsaw-set or do you need something chunkier for bandsaws ?

Use a small wooden wedge to keep the cut

An interesting analogy !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Do they pay flashers in NZ then?

;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Nah, that's just a SOT trait :p

Reply to
EMB

Learn to respect a Saw as they are Dangerous tools for Fools you should really go & learn to use one there are enough Nutters flying round the lanes with out Chains Saws

Regards Sk>>> Richard wrote:

Reply to
Skinty

That was where this thread started. Luckily chainsaws tend to injure only the user - unlike motor vehicles.

Reply to
EMB

I don't think any fitment is necessary, just chalk a line and follow it. Electric chainsaw will take a bit of time!

Our narrow bands were only 1"ish and they were set with a simple pliers thing, one left one unset one right, und so weiter. They need to be done accurately and then sharpened (even out of the box) to cut straight. The bands were only 10quid, I wonder if a saw doctor would make one to fit your machine.

Broad bandsaws always seem to be swage set (ends of teeth bludgeoned into a chisel).

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Darwin's principles in operation on the gene pool :-)

Reply to
Richard