Does my bulge look big in this?

1991 Range Rover - father-in-law reckoned the brakes had started to "feel a bit funny". On pressing, he said: "well they've felt a bit odd since sometime in the summer actually but the MOT's coming up so I thought I'd get you to have a look". I wonder how many folk are driving around out there for months with something "feeling a bit funny" just cos it isn't MOT time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I suppose looking at it the other way, it makes people get stuff looked at....

I would have thought that it would also pull like hell if you braked hard as one front has no power behind it!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Sigh indeed. I used to get that sort of thing all the time when I did WOFs (our MOT equivalent) where the punter would happily acknowledge a dangerous failure with "I knew it wasn't right but it still started and moved so it must have been ok". Some people are just far too stupid to be allowed a vehicle.

Reply to
EMB

Unless the brake pedal went to the floor it would have exactly the same pressure behind the pistons as the other side.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I almost said the same and in a simple single master cylinder and 4 slaves the pressure in the system would be the same everywhere but I'm not sure how dual circuits and/or front/rear balancing and/or ABS affect things...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the pipes are elastic and weak they/it will expand, keeping the pressure contant, as you say, but at such a low level as to supply dam all to the slaves, so as to give you nil braking!

Consider, if you will, how much pressure is applied to the shoes/pads when one opens a bleed nipple, or there is any air in the system.

Reply to
GbH

It certainly beats me how FIL could possibly have thought that there was only a minor "funniness" in the way things felt. All's well now but he still only drives at a little over walking pace. If I hear he's going to be out and about I spend the afternoon locked away in the shed sorting my collections of 'stuff'. Safer!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I replaced a corroded pipe n/s/f on the Disco only to have one of the o/s/f fail on the road test the sudden drop off the pedal makes the heart beat quicker but you still have enough to come to a dead stop. A pin hole close to where the pipe comes through the inner wing concealed by a bit of muck. Derek

Reply to
Derek