Fifth Gear - Rolling Classic, Motorway simulation.

Any one else see this ??? Dunno about you but rear ending the car infront seems the better option (sorry to thos infront) if this is really the likely outcome.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

I missed it - what happened? Jon

Reply to
Jon

I saw it and thought why use a early Range Rover than not include it ( modern Rangie ) in the actual report, just these crap SUV type vehicles. Admittedly scarey when you saw what happens, agree about the rear ender thou.

But then again it was crap TV based on American Figures !!

dave

Reply to
Dave H

"Jon" wrote in news:bvd4av$skl$1 @thorium.cix.co.uk:

It's a repeat from several months ago. The 5th Gear team want to prove that you can roll a 4x4 by swerving, so they set up a trial to compare the RR's stability with a Jaguar saloon. The idea was to tailgate another car down a runway and to swerve out of the way when the car in front did an emergency stop.

The jag went first and, although it span out at higher speeds, it didn't roll over.

For the RR, they really piled on the melodramatic hype. To "here comes the baddy" type music, they detailed the roll cage they fitted to the car and emphasised that a stunt driver would be doing the driving. When the car in front did an emergency stop from 40 mph, the RR swerved to successfully avoid a collision.

The the stunt driver did an unbelievably stupid thing. Just as the RR reached maximum body roll, he swerved violently back towards the other car. Of course, the RR did what you'd expect and rolled.

HTH,

Reply to
Geoff Lane

wrote

Ah! I did see it first time around. Jon

Reply to
Jon

On or around Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:36:05 GMT, Geoff Lane enlightened us thusly:

I bet the jag would've done so as well. Or did they do the same test the other way round?

bunch of cretins after a cheap telly thrill I assume. You can crash anything if you try hard enough.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So would a bloody van or anything else which is taller than standard.

I dunno bout range rovers but if you are driving a standard landie you don't expect it to handle like a car and you drive within your limits.

You should instinctively be able to feel at what point in cornering the rear end will give way and at what point the suspension is being put under maximum uneven load.

Reply to
Larry

"Larry" wrote in news:bvg5gg$rij5s$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-129032.news.uni-berlin.de:

Bear in mind that a stunt driver was driving the RR and that they expected it to roll. I had the impression that the driver did everything he could to roll the car.

Now, the original avoiding action was successfully and safely done. If the RR had rolled because of the overtaking manoeuvre, it would have rolled to the left (because the driver had to swerve to the right to avoid the BMW). However, the RR rolled to the right because, at the point when most people would have heaved a sigh of relief and concentrated on keeping in the overtaking lane, the driver violently swerved to the left.

Reply to
Geoff Lane